1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rasmussen again

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Keith Oates, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

For anybody that's not read it or not completely fed up with the whole saga here is a link to a recent press conference with Rasmussen:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/?id=/features/2007/tour_rasmussen_post07

What he doesn't seem to be able to get into his head is that he was not removed by his company (team) for taking drugs he was sacked because he lied to them and said he was in one place when in fact he was not there at all. I think my compnay would sack me if deceived them in a similar manner.

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

He must be hurting somewhat, but he will have to understand the basic fundamentals of working for someone. They employed him to work for them and he did, but he also lied to them.

3. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Yes it's the doubts about his where abouts that were his downfall. Using passport stamps, airline ticket stubs, etc, he should have proved his being in Mexico within hours of being challenged.

Even if it was all lies. Afterall, if I was in Italy with Dr F working to illegally pull off one of the biggest sporting frauds, that would net me mmillions in sponsorship and fame, I think I would had my alibi pretty well water tight. A second passport, a few airline tickets and entry visa stamps from a 'friendly' Mexican immigration official don't seem tp be the hardest cover story to fabricate.

4. chris42

chris42 New Member

Didn't he talk to someone in Italy who turned out to be a reporter.?

5. monnet

monnet Über Member

Davide Cassani, ex-pro now sometime journalist and broadcaster.

6. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

well a journalist would never say anything misleading now would they?

7. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Chicken by name...

He's playing the innocent card whilst refusing to give a straight answer on the very issue that got him sacked and subsequently kicked off the tour.

I have no sympathy for him. The only good that could come from this whole farce is if he and others realise he must abide by the rules. This reaction only serves to undermine the rules, the governing authorities and the sport.

He absolutely was the best rider in the tour this year and we have to assume he rode clean. Makes him all the more foolish in my opinion. Stop whining and take some responsibility for your actions.

As I said, chicken by name.

8. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

This is getting too much like the Landis case. "I didn't do anything wrong, but I will not prove my innocence" would not stand up in any court in the world.

There is obviously a lot going on behind the scenes that we do not know about. Like why is a Danish rider, who lives in Mexico and Italy , riding on a Monaco licence? Why won't he explain where he was on the dates he missed the tests? Why would Rabobank not want to win the Tour (if he is innocent)? And why does he claim to not be part of the Danish cycling organisation, yet he rode in their national championships in June?

I'm slowly becoming an expert in both sporting fraud and pharmaceuticals through pro-cycling!

9. johnr

johnr Über Member

So what's the betting he's in Armstrong's team next year?

10. chris42

chris42 New Member

na has Contador to groom.
    no need for the chicken

11. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I don't think Disco will take after the trouble they had with Basso. In any case they have some good riders already in the wings, IF they stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I think the days when ex-dopers can hope to find future employment in the sport are gone. Get caught now and it's end of career, the two year ban is irrelevant.

13. DP

DP Chasse patate

In Rasmussen's case though, he hasn't been caught doping and so won't be banned. Even so, I agree: it would, I think, be difficult to pitch him to a sponsor (unless of course he really was in Mexico).

14. It gets worse...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/aug07/aug06news2

15. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It looks as if he's history now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!