Rasmussen Drug Investigation!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

gavintc said:
I note the following report is placed on the BBC website. It seems that the 'chicken' has chickened out of informing the Danish doping authorities where he was. The report reads like something about nothing, but it will place him under suspicion and is there no smoke without fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/6907568.stm

:tongue: :?:

So disappointed to hear about this, especially now. It's pretty clear that a lot of pro riders have little regard for the sport's image. Whether the chook is guilty of doping or not is irrelevant at this point, he would have known it would look bad. Then he goes and takes yellow and this information is released. Poor show. People should be doing their utmost to promote the clean side of the sport and not agreeing to tell someone where you are is ridiculous and damaging.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Missing three, out of competition doping tests is considered to be a 'doping offence' and should result in the immediate suspension of the rider.

But once again we see cycling's premier event being less than consistent and strong minded in its bid to put its house in order. The Danish Cycle Union held its hearing over a month a go where Rasmussen had his right to reply and now they have concluded that a violation occurred. The TdF should throw him out and he should start his minimum 1 year suspension.

Out of competition testing is a contentious issue and everyone knows it is not applied consistently across the world. All sports have problems with people who choose to go and train in Ethiopia, some Caribbean countries, Kazakstan or in Rasmussen's case, Mexico, but here we have someone that the system has court, and the TdF is not doing its part in enforcing a key component of the world wide fight against doping.

But then the TdF can't even follow the basic dope testing procedures for in competition testing. WADA has again this year pointed out that the procedures in force for testing the top riders and random others is still woefully inadequate and poorly conducted. I know that procedures in this country at national level events in sports such as sailing and orienteering are much higher than ASO can be bothered to instigate at cycling's best known event.

Its pathetic.

Tetedelacourse

Well said Tim. I am in complete agreement and cannot understand why fans of the sport would think that this is nothing.

I should also point out that in the forum upgrade my "Mad" icon changed to a "hotlips" icon. Which I find quite amusing now.

Keith Oates

Janner
With the German TV stations stopping the broadcasts and hurting ASO profits is it now a case that ASO don't want even less revenue by bannning Rasmussen. Sometimes principles seem to waver!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squaggles

So he's been training in Mexico and not informing the testers of his location . I'm afraid that sounds pretty serious to me . Why did this come out now ? Should he have even been allowed to start ?

Monty Dog

According to Eurosport, they say that the UCI only say he's missed one test - hardly a penalty offence. Big questions as to why Rasmussen was informed by the Federation a month ago, was allowed to ride the National champs and yet the news breaks during the tour? Sounds like a media witch-hunt rather than a genuine story - if he wasn't in yellow would we be bothered?

Tetedelacourse

Why is missing a test hardly a penalty offence? (Eurosport claims 2 tests were missed in any case).

And Rasmussen is a WAY big enough name to be bothered about. In fact any one of the tdf riders on today's stage appearing in this quagmire is damaging.

nickwill

I got the impression from ITV4 that he'd missed 4 tests!
Two from the UCI, and two from the Danish authorities.
I hope he gets hammered in the TT tomorrow!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
When his national governing body (DCU) says he has behaved in a way that prohibits his inclusion in the national team, you know they feel they must be a very sure ground. Professional athletes sue at every opportunity, and if wronged will win millions of dollars. After the British Athletics case, no officials will go out on a limb. Therefore I'm convinced the DCU know more than they have let on at this stage.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
interesting article here click me

So it appears he has missed four tests....

I can't help but think that the testing regime for out of race testing is a little flawed. 'IF' an athlete misses several tests its assumed they are guilty and i'm thinking this is a bit harsh. it could just be that they are dis-organised, or focued on being an athlete.

Missing four tests really does create some doubt, but at no point has he been found positive for anything. So are we safe to assume he is clean?

Squaggles

Assume he's clean ? Sorry but I'm afraid you can't assume any rider is clean , it's a sad state of affairs but there it is .
Rules are there , riders know the rules , it is their responsibility to ensure they comply . At the very least he is a fool , he must know that he is playing with more than just his career but also the whole sport .

Top Bottom