Raspberry Pi Browsing Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have overclocked my Pi up to 950 via the config menu - it won't boot at 1k - and browsing is still annoyingly slow but not that far off being acceptable.

I think I have the original hard float version of wheezy and am using Midori.

Anyone know of any more tweaks - SD card upgrade any good?
 
What class card are you using?
 

Yellow Fang

Squire
Location
Bury St Edmunds
I could never get mine to browse well when I tried to use my Raspberry Pi as a general purpose PC. A friend says his works better, but I think his has 512 MB RAM and mine only had 256 MB. In the end, following someone's recommendation on geekschat, I installed RaspBMC on the SD card and used it to watch and download YouTube videos on the television and sound system.
 

HovR

Guru
Location
Plymouth
Which model do you have, A or B?

I own a B, which has double the RAM of the A model. The browsing speeds are acceptable if you remember that it's a $35 computer the size of a credit card, obviously it'll be difficult/impossible to have it operate at the same speed as a desktop PC.

I'd also be wary of the overclocking config menu. I tried that and it had no effect on my Pi, so I instead overclocked it with terminal commands. Try
Code:
vcgencmd get_config arm_freq
to ensure it's running at the speed you think it is.
 
OP
OP
accountantpete
Which model do you have, A or B?

I'd also be wary of overclocking config menu. I tried that and it had no effect on my Pi, so I instead overclocked it with terminal commands. Try
Code:
vcgencmd get_config arm_freq
to ensure it's running at the speed you think it is.

I have one of the first batch Model B's - so it may not be quite the same as the latest models.

Will check on my speed- thanks.
 
OP
OP
accountantpete
I don't get why you would use a RPi as your desktop. If you want to save power go LTSP, it's what I did.

I bought one when they came out and have just got round to playing with it!

Will look at the LTSP set up though - looks interesting.
 

fossala

Guru
Location
Cornwall
I bought one when they came out and have just got round to playing with it!

Will look at the LTSP set up though - looks interesting.
I have 3 thin clients running off one server in my house. I then have another server for my mailserver, I want to move that over to a pi if possible as it's only me that uses it so it's not high load.
 
As mentioned you might want to try a better SD card to see if the data transfer rate causes a slow down.


I really only use mine to run XBMC.
 
OP
OP
accountantpete
After a good browse, discovered that unchecking the "enable scripts" in preferences speeds things up nicely but nothing like I wanted.

It's looking like 10 or so tweaks might make browsing just about ok.
 
Top Bottom