Rat in the ceiling!.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Heard a few odd noises over the weekend so I had to evict my son from his bedroom today and pull the floorboards up.

Found rat droppings but luckily the haven't eaten the wiring..

Turns out electricians have knocked a brick out of the wall to make their job easier and left a nice hole for all and sundry to get in. Lovely jubly.

Going to brick it up and leave some poison down just in case.

Not a great way to spend your day off..

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've got the same problem, except this is a block of flats and the mice are up in the loft space, the housing association didn't believe me at first, until I started sending photos of dead mice, killed four up to now. Someone came round to have a look and it seems they are coming through the cavity walls and in to my boiler cupboard and on to my kitchen. Next Wednesday I have another person to “have a look”, so it could be a long job. :angry:

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
We had them in the loft a long while back and sorted that out.

Apparently they can shimmy up the drainpipes quite easily, up in through the soffit.

Also heard them in the shared cavity wall a long time back, I think next door have a breach as I've checked all our drainage and footings and no way in on our side.

I suppose living behind a field doesn't help!

We had them in the loft a long while back and sorted that out.

Apparently they can shimmy up the drainpipes quite easily, up in through the soffit.

Also heard them in the shared cavity wall a long time back, I think next door have a breach as I've checked all our drainage and footings and no way in on our side.

I suppose living behind a field doesn't help!
If the breach hasn’t been fixed then I would be fitting these in your sewer and rainwater outlets to stop them coming up the sewers.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine...VToFQBh01Mw54EAQYASABEgIN9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are trapping then these are the bees knees, when they go off they tend to flip so you can hear the sound of it.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pest-sto...VBrTtCh2TKwptEAQYEyABEgLDm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gillstay

Über Member
If the breach hasn’t been fixed then I would be fitting these in your sewer and rainwater outlets to stop them coming up the sewers.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine...VToFQBh01Mw54EAQYASABEgIN9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are trapping then these are the bees knees, when they go off they tend to flip so you can hear the sound of it.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pest-sto...VBrTtCh2TKwptEAQYEyABEgLDm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have two of those rat traps and they have never caught a thing here despite doing all the right tricks. Did manage to catch 6 in a live trap though.

I have two of those rat traps and they have never caught a thing here despite doing all the right tricks. Did manage to catch 6 in a live trap though.
The knack to them is to wedge the bait in so it takes a tug to get it out, as they tug the weight sets the trap off.

si_c

Guru
I have mice that go into the loft. I hear the patter of their tiny feet sometimes at night.

They don't go anywhere else in the house and they don't do any harm up there so I leave them to get on with it.
We had squirrels move into the loft a few years back - they were jumping from a branch on a tree at the front onto the roof and then climbing in under the roof space.

They can do quite a lot of damage when in the roof space (and this is a Grade II property) so we removed the branch they were using on the tree, didn't want to lay traps as that seemed unnecessarily brutal.

grumpydad

Heard a few odd noises over the weekend so I had to evict my son from his bedroom today and pull the floorboards up.

Found rat droppings but luckily the haven't eaten the wiring..

Turns out electricians have knocked a brick out of the wall to make their job easier and left a nice hole for all and sundry to get in. Lovely jubly.

Going to brick it up and leave some poison down just in case.

Not a great way to spend your day off..

View attachment 638433
Talking from experience, I wouldn't advise using poison, you could end up with a dead rat that will STINK!! for at least a couple of weeks. Use live catch or snap traps, we had a rat get in the house which produced 8 off spring, they were dispatched by various methods over a couple of weeks, we also bought a torch (possibly UV?) that showed up the urine stains all over the cooker, worktops, inside cupboards, you get the ideaxx(🤮

Top Bottom