Rats in the garden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
This may sound obvious but whatever you do, do not put poison under the floor. They will die there and the stench is horrendous. I know from experience but was lucky in that I managed to locate the creature and extract it. Not pleasant.
The only way to properly control them I now realise is to prevent access in the first place. I had removed an air brick and they took up residence, until one day I did some very noisy work on the upstairs floor and I actually saw two rats scarper from out of the hole left by the air brick.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Have you found and removed the dead rat.
I had one die in a cavity wall and it stank the house out.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We had rats under the decking ....
Buy a kilo of pigeon corn,
Soak in antifreeze for 24 hours.
Drill 20 mm hole in decking approx the centre.
With a funnel pour the pigeon corn / anti freeze under the decking.
Bye, Bye, Rats ..............:smile:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We had rats under the decking ....
Buy a kilo of pigeon corn,
Soak in antifreeze for 24 hours.
Drill 20 mm hole in decking approx the centre.
With a funnel pour the pigeon corn / anti freeze under the decking.
Bye, Bye, Rats ..............:smile:
Luckily for me i left a panel accessible for just that reason………

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Have you found and removed the dead rat.
I had one die in a cavity wall and it stank the house out.
I havent been up in the attic yet, but will on the weekend. But i do know that 100g of poison as been eaten. So he would have lasted 2 days tops after that little luncheon lol

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just remembered a novel way to kill rats. Squash them flat.
In making whisky and beer the malted barley is passed through a roller mill and produces grist. This is then mixed with water at a strictly controlled temperature for the mashing.
The malted barley in our case was fed to the mill by a slotted conveyor belt and from time to time a thump was heard and sometimes the mill jammed up. The thump was a rat being flattened and they could be seen during mashing. The jam was caused by a particularly big rat which could not be flattened enough to pass through.
We just left them as the probably added a certain something to the final flavour.
It certainly curtailed the illicit drinking of pundi which was the partly fermented wash:smile:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Ive heard that rats like to set up shop under decking.
Yup they do indeed……just glad my decking is laid intop of concrete, so they cant dig or burrow underneath it……always check for holes or chewed areas though just in case they are trying. I also clean all around the deck in hot water and bleach to ensure its clean and free from what they call rat grease

simongt

Guru
The only rats we get in the house have been brought in by this girl
As we have ten of her 'relatives', even with allotments with chickens on t'other side of fence, rats are not an issue in our house. ^_^
And the allotment holders appreciate the 'patrolling' of the local cats as it keeps the rat population down. :okay:

The problem with bait is that is entices rats to the property when it’s placed outside as it is a lovely food source, you are better off trapping outside as they are more likely to stumble across the choice of food in the trap as a snack rather than in active search of food.

You should also put these non return valves in you sewer outlet and rainwater outlet to stop them coming up the pipe works or going under and flaps/man hole access points https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine...zGRJk7B77Omav-p8zpBoCbLQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gillstay

Über Member
The problem with the poisons is that they kill hedgehogs and other predators such as Owls and Kestrels.
A simple live trap will do it I got 4 in the last month, but you need to wear gloves so as not to leave any scent and not disturb the trap.
Best of all, but expensive is the gas fired squirrel traps that act like a humane killer. They can be set up to kill rats as well. A cafe had a lot of problems with rodents eating their way into food and waste bins and destroying expensive lids. He got 7 on the first day.
They have a counter on them which was good as the local foxes caught up quick and carried off the first 6 before he saw a dead one.

The only rats we get in the house have been brought in by this girl
👍 we recently lost this hunter, but we have 2 more
Stormy w a catch.jpg

Top Bottom