RATS!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'er indores has been dead sheepish since the rats moved in under the floorboards - ashamed to mention it in polite company, all that nonsense. Well, we went to some (v polite) friends for lunch on Sunday and after a glass or three it just kind of slipped out and of course it turns out they had rats, and them next door had rats and them down the road had rats and actually it seems pretty much everyone round us has had rats over the last few months. They gave us their leftover poison, so we're going to hit the buggers with that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What is it they say, you're never more than 3 yards from a rat, or something like that.

Although, unless they are in my roof, it's unlikely, me being on the 2nd floor...

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need a killing machine:

jack_russel_terrier.jpg

yello

We get them in the roof space, it's about time for their scamperings to start actually. We use traps rather than poison. Last year, when setting traps, I found a nest in the insulation with around 6 or 8 young in. Dilemma time. After discussion with the misses, I picked them up by the tails and dropped them in a bucket... and - confession time - drowned them. I feel so evil.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ComedyPilot said:
Don't want to rain on your parade Arch, but rats can climb!

Oh, I know, but 2 floors up a rendered masonery wall?

Not that I'd mind too much, as long as they don't want to move into my kitchen or run across my head while I'm asleep...

Often wondered about having a pet one....

U

User169

[quote name='swee'pea99']'er indores has been dead sheepish since the rats moved in under the floorboards - ashamed to mention it in polite company, all that nonsense. Well, we went to some (v polite) friends for lunch on Sunday and after a glass or three it just kind of slipped out and of course it turns out they had rats, and them next door had rats and them down the road had rats and actually it seems pretty much everyone round us has had rats over the last few months. They gave us their leftover poison, so we're going to hit the buggers with that.[/QUOTE]

Just hope they don't die under your floorboards; otherwise, look forward to the smell of decay followed by a plague of flies.

tyred

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Don't want to rain on your parade Arch, but rats can climb!

Indeed. They're amazing little buggers and seem to be able to survive almost anywhere and eat almost anything.

Mix some cement powder up with some barley or similar and leave it for them. That should do the trick.:wahhey:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yeah - that is a concern...but I tried traps and they just ignored them. So I'm going to have to take the chance.

yello

[quote name='swee'pea99']I tried traps and they just ignored them[/QUOTE]

I'm not an authority, though I have been successful with traps, but maybe it's easier to trap when their natural food supplies are in short supply; i.e. late autumn/early winter.

You can get poison that works very quickly so the rats don't really get too far away making their bodies easier to recover.

I also trap moles if you've any questions on that. Cute little buggers too :wahhey:

Brains

Legendary Member
Arch said:

If it's pebbledash or even plain brick then the answer is: YES!

As can squirrels and mice.

10 meters of vertical brick wall is not a deterrient

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Arch said:

Not that I'd mind too much, as long as they don't want to move into my kitchen or run across my head while I'm asleep...

Often wondered about having a pet one....

I've seen 'em scurry 50 feet up the side of a mill, using the brickwork and steelwork as a climbing frame.

Don't want to make you paranoid though. I'm SURE you'll be fine. :wahhey:

Top Bottom