Rattling noise on bumpy roads .. HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

can anyone help… I’ve recently bought a 2022 Cube Attain Race. When I’m on a smooth road the bike is almost silent. When I go onto an older road that’s a bit bumpy I get a loud rattle from the rear wheel. It sounds like the chain is bouncing around and hitting something. The chain doesn’t look too long so I doubt it’s the length. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to bikes

thanks in advance

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Internal cables ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
It may simply be the chain slapping the rear stay - called 'chain slap -- mine does that on bumpy roads depends on what gear I'm in. Thats why there is usually a chain stay protector on the frame - often they are clear so not obvious to see. There is nothing wrong with the bike it is just a fact of life

OP
OP
M

matt.roberts1205

Internal cables ?
I think it may actually be the cables. I bounced the bike and discovered the noise is coming from the frame. I’ve pulled the cables tight and the noise has disappeared. Just need to find a way to wrap the cable in foam to stop if happening when they come loose. Thanks for your reply

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think it may actually be the cables. I bounced the bike and discovered the noise is coming from the frame. I’ve pulled the cables tight and the noise has disappeared. Just need to find a way to wrap the cable in foam to stop if happening when they come loose. Thanks for your reply
A splodge of clear silicone sealant where the housing enters the frame should provide enough damping, with the added advantage of keeping water out of the tube.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ah the advantages of internal cables 😂

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think it may actually be the cables.
Nice to know I'm not alone in finding this annoying. I have the same problem on my 2017 Merida Ride 4000, a bike which I otherwise am very happy with. If ever there was a solution to a problem which never existed, internal cables must be it. The price of vanity :angry:.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

Chislenko

Veteran
A bit drastic, emigrating just to cure a rattle!

To be fair our local council have just laid 30 yards of lovely smooth tarmac in the next village. The rest of the road is still garbage mind 😃

Obviously a local councilor must live on that stretch 😉

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
To be fair our local council have just laid 30 yards of lovely smooth tarmac in the next village. The rest of the road is still garbage mind 😃

Obviously a local councilor must live on that stretch 😉
Better than Worcestershire CC who last year laid about a mile of lovely smooth tarmac in one of the lanes I ride, only to surface dress it last month :banghead:.

mpemburn

Wow—I hadn’t even thought of this. My old frame had external cables, but the new one has internal, which—aesthetics aside—are a ripping pain in the butt. I didn’t notice the rattle until recently when the county put down the accursed tar-and-chip surfacing on several of my favorite roads.

So I guess it just a matter of living with it? The bike works like a champ in all other regards.

mpemburn

After reading this thread, I went out to my shop and did a "drop test" to see if I could determine whether the internal cables were the culprit. I'm fairly certain they are. Armed with this, I sought out solutions.

The first is a rather comprehensive look at the problem, but the fix is somewhat labor intensive:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWhBM7KEoQ

The second is much simpler, and I think it's the one I'm going to go with:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPpG5Btt7w

Good luck! I'll let you know how it goes for me. Hope I can manage to get it done before my next ride.

Marl

Last edited:
Top Bottom