rattly freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I cant think that something could come adrift in a freewheel (or freehub) that'd allow you to ride at all if it was broke.
Are you sure its not just the cable tension on the rear derailleur, a little more tension will realign the derailleur/chain with the sprockets (i'm not explaining it well, but you know what i mean ?)

Loose nipple in the rim rattling about ?

I'm at a loss really...just can't see something coming adrift in the freewheel...and it still working.

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1256935"]
It's certainly in the freewheel somewhere-it does the same with the wheel off the bike. Bloke in Evans thinks it may be the bearings in the freewheel.
[/quote]

Can't say i know it all, but thats whats bamboozling me. The balls (2 sets) are obviously contained within tight tolerances within the freewheel. If, if the freewheel lockring became loose and allowed the balls out of their races...i dont see how the thing would work at all. The loose balls would 'lock up' the freewheel or the freewheel would become seriously 'wobbly'
But there you go...what do i know :biggrin:

Zoiders

Sounds like one of the pawls in the freehub has broken off or a spring has popped out from under it, if the grease has dried up it will rattle about.

Fortunately the freehub body is replacable in the majority of cases, at least you caught it now because the others will get over stressed and break as well over time, leaving you with no drive, which is not a good thing miles from home.

Top Bottom