Re-cyclechat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

So what are we all doing to save the planet? What is possible and what is impractical? Are we willing to make changes or just talk about them?

My pet hate is the ridiculous amount of plastic packaging the food industry is clogging up our world with. It is possible I believe to have certain types of plastic that are suited for packaging which do actually bio degrade...so why arent the food companies forced to use them?

This has all come to a head in our house because we throw out four pink (who the hell decided on pink????)rubbish sacks of recycled waste a week as a minimum 90% of which is food packaging.

Abitrary

I was just thinking about this waste earlier. Junk mail

They've started leaving trade newspapers on my doormat, instead of trying to force it desperately into my letter box.

Extremely angry. This might be my first political act

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Compost whatever you can...it's amazing how much it cuts down what you put out. And remember...when we "throw stuff away", there's no such place as away...we're just hiding it. (I saw that on the telly....it sounded good). :biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Send the junk mail back in supplied envelope.

Having said that, for years, whenever I've bought a paper or magazine, I've tipped it up and left all the junk in the shop, I don't want it.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I often wonder what would happen if I took off the packaging in the supermarket and just took the goods to the checkout?

In Germany there seem to be a lot more unpackaged fruit n' veg in the supermarkets, so it can be done. Over here it's got to a point where you cant buy a grape without it being wrapped in 6 layers of plastic and abar code stuck on it.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Abitrary said:
I was just thinking about this waste earlier. Junk mail

They've started leaving trade newspapers on my doormat, instead of trying to force it desperately into my letter box.

Extremely angry. This might be my first political act

When the kids are bored get them to write silly personal details on the freepost coupons and mail them off. Happy kids and junk mailer out of pocket (it ain't free to them)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Aperitif said:
I was thinking along these lines when looking at beer in glass bottles last Saturday...:wacko:
Well thats obvious, recycle the beer by drinking it, then nip to the loo and offload it to send it to london, put the bottle in the bottle bank, the cap in the can bank and then you are a "green". :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ;) ;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I think one easy thing to do would be to organise school trips to landfill sites for the up and comig generations before they get into the same appalling shopping habits of their parents.

As consumers we are mostly greedy, inconsiderate and lazy. It's all to bloody easy.

... i think I am going to grow my own in the garden from now on, wear sandals and read books on eygyptian achitecture:biggrin:

I don't do much to "save the planet" at the moment, wot with driving a lorry for a living and commuting 300 miles a week in a twenty year old Volvo estate.:biggrin: And going on two foreign holidays on aeroplanes this year:blush::biggrin: (albeit to see relatives living abroad both times). And watching and participating in F1 (as a scrutineer), possibly the least environmentally friendly sport anywhere ever.:biggrin::blush:;) But we do try and avoid excessive packaging, we recycle glass, plastic, carrier bags, paper and cardboard and I sleep in my lorry in the yard three nights a week rather than drive the 150 mile round trip home and back again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We recycle as much as possible, we also compost, we're about to become a 5 person 1 car family, we have as many low energy bulbs as possible, we hate junk mail and free papers, I work in the food industry and cannot answer the packaging question...but....we're working on it!

KitsuneAndy

Bigtallfatbloke said:
So what are we all doing to save the planet? What is possible and what is impractical? Are we willing to make changes or just talk about them?

My pet hate is the ridiculous amount of plastic packaging the food industry is clogging up our world with. It is possible I believe to have certain types of plastic that are suited for packaging which do actually bio degrade...so why arent the food companies forced to use them?

This has all come to a head in our house because we throw out four pink (who the hell decided on pink????)rubbish sacks of recycled waste a week as a minimum 90% of which is food packaging.

We did recycle.

Did being the operative word.

Our council only give you a small box to put paper and glass in and if you put anything in that's plastic it's 'contaminated' and they wont take it.

Now that would be fine, if the boxes had lids, but they don't. Therefore, all the paper you've put in the box blows all around your garden and if you try to stop it happening by putting the paper in a plastic bag before putting it in the box, they wont take it. doh.

But, we do grow our own veg, don't own a car, compost everything we can and don't use planes very often. Although we are flying to Amsterdam in December, it'll be the first time my other half has flown and the 3rd time I have.

col

Legendary Member
We used to recycle,but for some reason ,the council didnt come down our street,and everyones stuff was all over the place when you got home.

Top Bottom