Re-drop and re-gear Scott AFD Expert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, here's the bits to be changed:

Cassette and rear mech.

Bars and shifters.

All gone! I leveled the saddle too, while I was at it...

Basic bits together shot.

A comparison of the two cassettes shows the nice even spread on the 9-speed, and the huge gap between 1st and 2nd on the 8-speed.
It's 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-34T - 26 to 34 in one jump!
By comparison, the 9-speed is 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36, much easier steps.

I've started cabling, the brakes are done, just got to sort out gears. Job for tomorrow morning. If I manage it, might get a ride in tomorrow afternoon!
^_^

Last edited:
Well, an 'interesting' day.
First, fitting gear cables to STI brifters. Took several hoes on each before they were seated and pulling right. Cable up front mech, no problem, it's working with the shifter it was made for. All good.
Now, this damned RD-M4000...no good at all, just would not shift cleanly either way. After a couple of hours, I gave up and fetched the Trek out of storage. Swapped the RD-M4000 for the RD-M410 Alivio. Set it up. Works perfectly. Hmmm...
Set ip the 4000 on the Trek. Definitely easier to shift, but no more able to clean shift than the Scott. Took it off, put it in spares bin, from which I retrieved an Altus RD-M310, salvaged from an 8-speed Norco hybrid. Threw it on without even bothering with a hanger extender to clear the 36t.
Works perfectly.
The spring tension on the new changer is much heavier than the older mechs. So presumably there's a mismatch that my research didn't reveal.
So the Trek is now peachy, and has the shorter, lighter bars and semi-ergo grips from the Scott. I may switch it back to 38c tyres too, but another day.
And talking of tyres, is this pushing it?

There is enough wobble to make the little hairy bits around the seam touch the tube. Will this settle, ot get worse, do you think?
Return to 25s looking likely...

AndyRM

XOXO
Hm. That's very, very tight (which is :becool:). But any sort of build up on the seat tube, or something sticking into the tyre in an inconvenient place may cause issues. I'd go down to 25 personally.

Hm. That's very, very tight (which is :becool:). But any sort of build up on the seat tube, or something sticking into the tyre in an inconvenient place may cause issues. I'd go down to 25 personally.
Yup, I chickened out and put the 25s back on!
I consoled myself by fitting new tubes...
Tomorrow is shopping, then my first ever go at bar taping...
Wish me luck!

Awaiting bar tape

Trek dashboard with 50mm narrower bars and semi-ergo grips

It's a wrap. Jeez, what a horrible job that is...
Just need to do a shakedown ride on each bike to check all is well.

Shakedowns completed, and all is well. But pretty cheesed off that the RD-M4000 seems to be useless. i need to do some reasearch on what it will match up with, I obviously got that all wrong! Ah well...

Top Bottom