Re emergence of the Lada.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One side effect of the sanctions in Russia is that Autovaz who produce Lada cars in conjunction with Renault now don't have access to outside made components and Renault are pulling out of the market.
So the factory is now said to be looking at producing a 'basic' model without things like ABS for the home market.
https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject....3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s
I wonder if they will be offered in the European market? Probably not I guess due to safety standards but maybe they could come to countries with less strict standards.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
One side effect of the sanctions in Russia is that Autovaz who produce Lada cars in conjunction with Renault now don't have access to outside made components and Renault are pulling out of the market.
So the factory is now said to be looking at producing a 'basic' model without things like ABS for the home market.
https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/04/22/business/russia-living-with-sanctions/index.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM=#aoh=16507868822098&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/04/22/business/russia-living-with-sanctions/index.html#aoh=16507868822098&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s
I wonder if they will be offered in the European market? Probably not I guess due to safety standards but maybe they could come to countries with less strict standards.

Years ago a friend of a friend got a new Lada as a company car. Traveling in it one day we looked at the handbook. There were instructions for the air conditioning!! This was long before air con was routinely available.

We followed the instructions which told us to use the window winder (that's a handle on the inside of the door that you turned for the young folks) to open the window :laugh:

I reckon they will start copying modern car components and will produce something ok and will be looking to export it to less discerning countries like those in Africa to get some foreign currency like the old days of communism. I'm sure their first models will be pretty much like the french engineered models they were producing previously. Pretty much everyone in the world has seen a drop in income in real terms but I can see it going well beyond that in Russia. It will probably end up with another 10 year waiting list to get a new car.

D

Deleted member 26715

Probably not I guess due to safety standards but maybe they could come to countries with less strict standards.
Cars don't have to have ABS. Air Con, safety bags etc. it's only the marketing people who have made people want these types of things, okay they are safer in the event of an accident, but if they didn't have them maybe people would drive more within their competence. The cars I build do not have these features & are not really needed although a roof would be nice for when it rains.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The less car makers there are the better!

i will take that with a pinch of salt , some of us need the work

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My dad bought a brand new Lada 1200 in 1974, in racing green, when they first came over here. On the motorway it used to sound like an old washing machine on spin, it was that loud. JAO 76N

In Carlisle in the 80's they were everywhere as Taxi's, so they must've been reliable.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I used to get taken to school sometimes sitting on the spare wheel in the back of my mum's Russian work van. Not a Lada, but a Moskvitch. Remember them? It was an absolute pile of rubbish of course, but with a weapons grade heater that could wilt your eyebrows.

Last edited:
My dad bought a brand new Lada 1200 in 1974, in racing green, when they first came over here. On the motorway it used to sound like an old washing machine on spin, it was that loud. JAO 76N

In Carlisle in the 80's they were everywhere as Taxi's, so they must've been reliable.

Last time I was in a Lada was in eastern Hungary about 6 years back. It was a taxi and I waited in the railway station another 5 minutes in the hope that someone would take this one and I could get in a more modern taxi further down the taxi rank. Sadly nobody else needed a taxi.

Got in it grudgingly and it wasn't too bad as it struggled to hit 30.

Did manage to overtake a horse drawn carriage but riding a horse would have been preferable.
Seatbelt was akin to an old school rucksack strap that just lay baggy and floppy in the lap.
Every time he braked the headrest flopped forward into my head.

Enjoy your Ladas my russian pals but they're not for me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And some of us need a car to actually work.

The internet is one of the biggest producers of carbon emissions, but that is a bit of an inconvenient truth for most of the eco warriors who like to festoon themselves with all the latest IT gadgets.

I read that approximately 20% of all the electricity generated on this planet is used by mobile phones and internet traffic.

Top Bottom