Re-evaluation of stats. Speeding more significant as cause of road deaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Article in The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...y-road-deaths-as-previously-thought-8xbvp6d0q

Speeding is revealed today to be the biggest cause of road deaths as police prepare to change the way they record the results of crash investigations.
Under a more accurate reporting system to be adopted by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC), speed will be noted as a contributing cause of half of Britain’s 1,500 annual road deaths. It is currently noted as the cause of just 375.
At present, official figures record that the biggest cause of deaths on the road is a driver or rider failing to look properly. Loss of control is second, with exceeding the speed limit and driver carelessness joint third.
But the figures, known as STATS19, are based on reports from the scene of the collision, and are not updated even if an investigation finds other factors were involved. Now forces will be asked to record the results of their final assessment of the causes, typically after a forensic review has been conducted.

Excellent news. I don't know why we don't have more speed cameras on the roads - must be a money earner at least until the automatic speed sensors come in on cars.

They have had speed sensors in motorised vehicles ever since the first speedo was installed. What we need are speed limiters.

It's reckoned that the 'safety' features on cars, including seat belts have lead to more collisions, as they offer a false sense of security. A large pointy spike from the centre of the steering wheel could just help focus attention.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
https://archive.ph/clOPU here's a link which shows this article without having to subscribe to the Times.

I managed to see it without hitting a paywall. Sorry if that wasn't the case for others.

Gwylan

Veteran
Article in The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...y-road-deaths-as-previously-thought-8xbvp6d0q

Speeding is revealed today to be the biggest cause of road deaths as police prepare to change the way they record the results of crash investigations.
Under a more accurate reporting system to be adopted by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC), speed will be noted as a contributing cause of half of Britain’s 1,500 annual road deaths. It is currently noted as the cause of just 375.
At present, official figures record that the biggest cause of deaths on the road is a driver or rider failing to look properly. Loss of control is second, with exceeding the speed limit and driver carelessness joint third.
But the figures, known as STATS19, are based on reports from the scene of the collision, and are not updated even if an investigation finds other factors were involved. Now forces will be asked to record the results of their final assessment of the causes, typically after a forensic review has been conducted.

A bit "no shirt Sherlock" isn't it?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I assume "speeding" is interpreted as exceeding the speed limit? Speed is a factor in pretty much every road death - I posit that it is inappropriate speed that is the risk factor here - which, in some circumstances, can be well below the speed limit. Equally I suspect that on most occasions that someone exceeds the speed limit nothing untoward happens.

To be clear, I am all in favour of appropriate speed limits and their policing.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I assume "speeding" is interpreted as exceeding the speed limit? Speed is a factor in pretty much every road death - I posit that it is inappropriate speed that is the risk factor here - which, in some circumstances, can be well below the speed limit. Equally I suspect that on most occasions that someone exceeds the speed limit nothing untoward happens.

To be clear, I am all in favour of appropriate speed limits and their policing.

Not necessarily. The article says (my bold):
The figure for 2020 was revised up from 19.1 per cent to 46.8 per cent. This included motorists who broke the speed limit and those who drove too fast for the conditions.
So it's both drivers who exceeded the speed limit and those who drove inappropriately fast (even if this did not exceed the limit)

I think what the article is saying is that final reports (and hence statistics) were originally based on information gathered early in the investigation and not the full information gathered throughout the investigation. So this has led to an impression that speeding was less of an important factor than it really is.

So ultimately this could (potentially) lead to changes in policy re speed enforcement.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's a shame that driving 'too fast for the conditions' seems to be too nebulous a concept to ever result in prosecution.

They have had speed sensors in motorised vehicles ever since the first speedo was installed. What we need are speed limiters.

We are getting a form of them aren't we ? Cars that read the speed signs and beep and stop acceleration when you go over the limit.

Unfortunately you can override this but the car keeps beeping at you until you go below the limit.

I'm sure this technology is arriving in the next few years ?

It's a start at least.

Top Bottom