Reaction to ibuprofen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I had a reaction this morning after having a couple of ibuprofen. All seemed well until about 45 minutes after when I started to itch a little. The itching intensified over the next half hour until it was getting quite bad. Looked in the mirror to find I was covered in small hives all over my face, forehead, scalp, lips etc. By the time I got back home it was pretty much all over my body. Some of the bumps are now a fair old size. The itching has subsided since taking some antihistamines but the bumps still remain.

I'm not sure what to do now as my parents and partner said I may now be alergic to them. My mum reckons this is what happened when I became allergic to penicillin.

Has anyone had or come accross this before?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you called 111?

Mrs M

Guru
I took diclofenic, which is also an anti inflammatory.
I became very itchy, scratching myself until I was bleeding.
Decided I was allergic to it. Was given it in hospital after an operation, even after I warned them.
Same thing happened again, then was told I was allergic to it. :dry:

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Sounds like the same thing @Mrs M. Did they test you for the allergy. What do you do now for anti inflammatories?

Reading up online suggest allergy to Ibuprofen might also mean an alergy to Asprin and Naproxen also.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like the same thing @Mrs M. Did they test you for the allergy. What do you do now for anti inflammatories?

Reading up online suggest allergy to Ibuprofen might also mean an alergy to Asprin and Naproxen also.
And possibly cox 2

Mrs M

Guru
They didn’t test for allergy, didn’t seem at all interested.

gbb

Legendary Member
This may explain my itchiness and hives like swelling inside my thigh, I regularly take ibrufen for OA. I might start switching regularly between ibrufen and paracetamol so's not to overdo either one.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
What did you take it for?
Take paracetamol instead?

Took antihistamine for the reaction. Only reason I took ibuprofen this morning is because our paracetamol is running low in the house and the supermarkets have been stripped bare.

Top Bottom