Reading - books or ereader (other kindles are available)!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have mentioned this before on other threads, but it bears repeating....

Some county library services allow members to download ebooks and magazines free of charge. My county library service uses "Libby" as the app for books, and some magazines. It uses "pressreader" as the app for a wider range of magazines and newspapers. Both apps available free.

You can download books to android and Kindle devices. I don't know about Mac devices - I have never even touched one.

Audio books can also be downloaded.

I read loads of books and a few magazines using these services. There are even some cycling mags available on pressreader.

If you belong to your library service I suggest you ask them whether they participate in the scheme....

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have mentioned this before on other threads, but it bears repeating....

Some county library services allow members to download ebooks and magazines free of charge. My county library service uses "Libby" as the app for books, and some magazines. It uses "pressreader" as the app for a wider range of magazines and newspapers. Both apps available free.

You can download books to android and Kindle devices. I don't know about Mac devices - I have never even touched one.

Audio books can also be downloaded.

I read loads of books and a few magazines using these services. There are even some cycling mags available on pressreader.

If you belong to your library service I suggest you ask them whether they participate in the scheme....
I'd be surprised if libraries don't offer it now. That's why I'm a member of three different country libraries.

gom

Über Member
My county library service uses "Libby" as the app for books, and some magazines.
Same here. I’ve been using it on my iPad for a year now. I read quite a few books after I found it, but have felt less enticed by those I’m finding now.

Kindle - I often use the “Download sample” option (sorry if I missed a ref to it while reading previous posts). Usually enough to decide yes or no.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Multiple little book swap boxes have appeared round here. I have found 4 or 5 in Todmorden so far. People leave old books in them and take any that they fancy.

Most of the books seem to be romantic fiction, but I have seen some books of interest to me.

I found some good yoga books which I took for a friend who is into that.

I also found some cookery books in German which I made sure that I took for my stepdaughter who has a B.A. in German AND likes cooking! That was a good find.

One warning though - SOME OF THE LOCALS ARE A BIT STRICT ABOUT WHAT IS ALLOWED! :laugh:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
The best screen-reading experience that I have found is using Adobe Digital Editions software on a tablet, lap-top or desk-top device displaying works in epub format. Free download for Adobe Digital Editions here. Kobo ereaders also work well with epub format which is the ISO compliant format. In my experience, Kindle suffers from the Microsoft syndrome — full of the odd-ball non-standard features of a proprietary software that tries to trap its users into a single supplier.

Many out-of-copyright works are available in epub format at Project Gutenberg free of charge — one of the world's great humanitarian projects along with the Open University and free museums.

For non-fiction, the next great read is often in the bibliography of the current great read. Hop from book to book like this and you can rapidly acquire knowledge in depth.

For physical books, I prefer Blackwell's. For ebooks, Kobo.

Finally one title that should not fail to hook you: The Long Walk. Not just an engrossing account but also the starting point for a whirlwind of controversy that now revolves around it. Happy reading!

I use the Kindle app on my phone so I'm never without reading material. I never lose my place and I don't clutter the place up with books. You can definitely download samples of the books on there too.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I use the Kindle app on my phone so I'm never without reading material. I never lose my place and I don't clutter the place up with books. You can definitely download samples of the books on there too.
Clutter the place up with books! Thats the lovely thing with books rows and rows of bookshelves. My idea of heaven, and cycling obviously.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
For fiction, the sheer convenience of Kindle wins out. I do prefer the tactile feel of a book though, and cookbooks in particular are easier to use.

Clutter the place up with books! Thats the lovely thing with books rows and rows of bookshelves. My idea of heaven, and cycling obviously.
Your house your choice. I do have some real books but just find it more convenient to read e-books.

This is about right. I've even got bookshelves and magazine racks in the bathroom to cater for my time on the porcelain throne and in the tub. :blush: A girl can never have too many books.

One of my best friends owns a bookshop. :becool:

And as if I haven't got enough stuff to read, I like to write my own stories as well. :blush:

Top Bottom