Ready for 100 km sportive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

Been doing long weekend ride each week with some 10-15 mile ones midweek. Did first 50 miler today (52) which by my maths is 80km so with a steady week to rest a bit this seem like good prep for 100 km sportive? Only 8 miles short today and on some of the same roads. Stopped for a bit of grub once and averaged 15.4 mph moving speed.

Distance isn't a worry as I wasn't / aren't shattered but don't want to get dropped like a stone and be trailing in last. Route today and next week had some short steep hills 15% and a couple of 1 mile drags around 5%. 2600 feet climbing.

Any opinions? Really want to do the long route but not sure...

Last edited:
You'll be fine and there'll be people slower than you. It's not a race so just don't worry about it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pace yourself on the longer route, eat and drink enough, and you should be fine!

The chances are, you won't be last, but even if you are - somebody has to be .... :okay:

I don't think that I ever came in last, but I finished one tough event 9th slowest, with about 500 people finishing ahead of me. I still enjoyed the day out on my bike.

If you are worried about the distance ( and confidence can be a genuine issue) then start slowly and don't start to push on until you are confident you have the legs for the distance. Make sure you are well fuelled and drink plenty.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Thanks. Luckily it's local so know all the roads well and where the hills are and how far away i am. Final few miles through roads nearest my house so hoping that will help too.

Tin Pot

Guru
Been doing long weekend ride each week with some 10-15 mile ones midweek. Did first 50 miler today (52) which by my maths is 80km so with a steady week to rest a bit this seem like good prep for 100 km sportive? Only 8 miles short today and on some of the same roads. Stopped for a bit of grub once and averaged 15.4 mph moving speed.

Distance isn't a worry as I wasn't / aren't shattered but don't want to get dropped like a stone and be trailing in last. Route today and next week had some short steep hills 15% and a couple of 1 mile drags around 5%. 2600 feet climbing.

Any opinions? Really want to do the long route but not sure...

The key is to go out slowly, really slowly!

I had a bunch of fun for the first half of my first sportive, then cramped up in both legs and was left behind and grinding every pedal turn for the last third.

si_c

Guru
I think you've nailed your prep. You've done almost the distance already and you felt good at the end.

Do a couple of shorter rides during the week before nothing more than say 20miles, and eat well the day before, have a good breakfast and you'll be sorted.

Just remember to keep pacing yourself, don't follow the temptation to run off the front with those who think it's a race and enjoy your day.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Agreed, your prep has been pretty much perfect, now stop thinking about it and just go and enjoy it. Don't worry about position either, there are no prizes or punishments for finishing 50th vs 70th.
Completing it is a win in itself.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Sounds like you are good to go. Its a Sportive, its all about the ride, not the finishing position. As has been said, go out easy, take the first 10 miles easy, remember to eat and drink and then you push on as your confidence grows towards the end. Enjoy the ride.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Seems a bit more in-depth! :training::training:

I would agree, the problem with these plans is that life tends to get in the way, then you start obsessing that you are not following the plan. At the end of the day, ride as much as you can. Vary the distances - a couple of shortish mid week rides followed by a longer weekend ride. Don't get stuck in the detail. Most of all cycling is for fun and enjoyment. As soon as it becomes a chore or you feel you have to get out to meet a training target it loses something of it's appeal.

Top Bottom