Ready meal curry, can I spice it up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I bought myself a chicken korma. Years since I had one so thought I'd give it a try.
I think it will be too mild.
Details.
Its one I heat from frozen so options are limited ie I can't put it in a pan to recook.
It MIGHT be fine but if not what can be added?

I add fresh chopped green chilli to a korma. Adds flavour and some heat.

I sometimes add to them an onion (or maybe half) and add some spices to the onion while I am frying it up
Obviously you can add chilli at that point to add 'heat'

Once it is properly defrosted then the meat/sauce part can be put into a small pan with the additional onions and gently simmered while you cook the rice - as i use brown rice this takes 20 minutes which allows the new and old parts to mingle properly

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I sometimes add to them an onion (or maybe half) and add some spices to the onion while I am frying it up
Obviously you can add chilli at that point to add 'heat'

Once it is properly defrosted then the meat/sauce part can be put into a small pan with the additional onions and gently simmered while you cook the rice - as i use brown rice this takes 20 minutes which allows the new and old parts to mingle properly

Aah....you don't defrost these, you cook from frozen.

Good Point
However if it is just curry without rice then I reckon that you could still defrost it safely and then add the fresh onion

If it includes rice then I have no idea how you would cook the rice after

and anyway I know nothing - don;t blame me if you get food poisoning!!!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Instead of ready meals which are often hit or miss and expensive why not use some left over meat or whatever and add one of the excellent cook in sauces. Pateks are very good.
I always add some fresh chillis as most sauces are too mild.

Instead of ready meals which are often hit or miss and expensive why not use some left over meat or whatever and add one of the excellent cook in sauces. Pateks are very good.
I always add some fresh chillis as most sauces are too mild.

Yup - that is what I do - about £.50 for a jar and I make 3-4 portion out of it
(plus meat or whatever of course!)

I often take things that say 'cook from frozen' and let them defrost, the whole or just in part, and then fiddle with them. It can make the difference between something being 'meh' and something being yummy.
OC you have to not let them 'linger' once they are defrosted but ...

For instance there are a couple of Lidl frozen vegetarian 'cook from frozen' meals which I very much like. The tagliatelli arabiata is YUM but I like to add big dollops of herby cream cheese and some harissa to it; I do this when it is defrosted and then warm it gently in the microwave, or on the hob, stirring often, before giving it a really good blast to get it piping hot throughout.

With a curry, I'll sometimes hoik out the frozen lump of rice to keep in the freezer, and prepare a spiced caramelised onion-and-spices as described above, or some thick tomato and chilli/garam masala, then stir that into the beginning-to-defrost main curry bit until all is well blended. Then cook frozen lump of rice as seems most appropriate while gently simmering the main curry bit on the hob or also in the m/wave.

The instructions are not orders to be obeyed at all costs, just a set simple process which anyone , no matter how (in) competent or (un)knowledgable they might be, can follow and which will result in an edible meal.

Top Bottom