Ready mixed mortar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've got four bricks that have come loose from the middle of a wall as all the mortar has crumbled, I'm looking at getting some ready mix to put them back with but not sure on how much I need.

Small tubs seem to be either 5kg or 10kg, anyone know what size I'll need, also is there any preference on brand?

I am guessing you are not removing the bricks Just pointing them in situ
quarter of bucket worth will do you as a comparison

Its better to much than not enough.

presta

Guru
I'd be inclined to estimate it on volume, it's easy enough to measure the volume you need and the volume of the tub.

I used this brands 'concrete repair mix' to fill in some gaps on a concrete base, I found it very easy to work with. Just add some dry powder mixture into a bucket, mix some water and work with that. I found it best to mix small amounts at a time as it does set quickly.

5kg should be fine, it does have an expiry date so best not to have lots left over.

This is their mortar mix, I used the concrete one but I presume the method is the same.

https://www.diy.com/departments/u-can-repair-mortar-5kg-tub/237084_BQ.prd

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I used this brands 'concrete repair mix' to fill in some gaps on a concrete base, I found it very easy to work with. Just add some dry powder mixture into a bucket, mix some water and work with that. I found it best to mix small amounts at a time as it does set quickly.

5kg should be fine, it does have an expiry date so best not to have lots left over.

This is their mortar mix, I used the concrete one but I presume the method is the same.

https://www.diy.com/departments/u-can-repair-mortar-5kg-tub/237084_BQ.prd

Thanks everyone. 😊

That one is one of the ones I've been looking at, think I'll give it a go.

Sharky

Guru
Do you have any neighbours you could approach that are frequent DIY'ers?

I asked my neighbour if he had any brick laying mix, to refix a couple of loose bricks in our front wall. He had and offered to fix them next time he did similar work on his own property. Took a while, but he didn't forget and did a first class job.

newts

Veteran

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We have a long old stone wall running the length of our garden, so whatever is left over after a mortaring or concrete job gets used for pointing it.

Top Bottom