Real-life comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Artvavderly

I recently bought a bkool smart pro 2 trainer. I firstly checked out a few flatish rides, and was impressed. But it was the big climbs I really want to try. So, I started with an "easier" one, the col d'aspin. I was pushed and it was a challenge, but not too bad. So, I decided to go up a notch and took on Alpe d'huez. I was just hoping not to embarrass myself and possibly get to the top but, again I was surprised that I got to the summit in okay shape. Sweaty, legs and back aching, but I felt okay. Not a quick time, 1hr 34. But I didn't want to blow out and have to stop. So really, I'm just here to ask, what is it like compared with the real thing? Has anyone on here done Alpe d'huez on a bkool? Using the bkool simulator or the Zwift version of the climb? And also done the real thing? I obviously get that there is no altitude to contend with, or summer heat. I would just love to know how it shapes up. I've only really been riding for 2 years, and the only "tough" real-life climb I've taken on a few times is Haytor on Dartmoor. Many thanks.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I think it's about 20 to 25% easier than in real life. For my weight 66Kg then resistance maxes out at about 13%... If you weigh less than this then you'll get a higher max resistance, and if more then the resistance will drop sooner.

Last edited:
I can't tell you specifically about Alpe d'Huez but a similar comparison...

I rode Luz Ardiden back last June and took around 1 hour 20 minutes. I rode it on my Bkool Pro using BigRingVR in September and took around 1 hour 10 minutes. On the virtual ride I was working pretty hard and "going for it" as once I'd reached the top that was the ride over and if I pushed to hard I hadn't lost anything (other than my pride). When I rode it for real I was being careful with my pacing and the temperature had got pretty high.

So I reckon pretty close and when I rode the Tourmalet both for real and virtually both rides were pretty consistent and the "feel" was very realistic.
I would stress, once again, that this was using the Bkool Pro but not Bkool software... some funny timing results on the Bkool simulator on some rides. Some of the Tacx sw ride time are crazy as well. Strava segment times where I've found riders going up in half my time and putting out about 60% of my watts... now I only weigh around 68kg so go figure.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I think it's about 20 to 25% easier than in real life. For my weight 66Kg then resistance maxes out at about 13%... If you weigh less than this then you'll get a higher max grafigra, and if more then the resistance will drop sooner.
At nearly twice Alemans weight I find my perceived max resistance happens @about 6%. The resistance does not drop it just doesn't seem to get harder. This is with a bkool pro and classic. What happens with a pro once I reach that point is the software then adjusts the speed to take account of my calculated power and slope, this shows as blue speed numbers. The classic, due to older fw, will show my current wheel speed, this is normally about 5-6mph.

To compare to the real world is hard. HoweverI can do 20-22mph (32-35kmh) on the flat in bkool fairly well on +/- 1.5% slopes. IRL maybe I can hold 17-18mph consistantly, but that is almost working at my max.

What you will find is that you can and do tend to go harder indoors than you will outside. Too many hazards outside to go at 100% all the time.

CXRAndy

Guru
get that there is no altitude to contend with, or summer heat. I would just love to know how it shapes up. I've only really been riding for 2 years, and the only "tough" real-life climb I've taken on a few times is Haytor on Dartmoor.

I've done the Zwift Alp on a Wahoo Kickr, which is about as good as it gets. I'm doing the real Alp DHUEZ this summer, but I doubt I can give a real comparison, due the fact my climb should be at the end of a 120 mile ride, so I will be in survival mode just getting up the Alp.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I've done the Zwift Alp on a Wahoo Kickr, which is about as good as it gets. I'm doing the real Alp DHUEZ this summer, but I doubt I can give a real comparison, due the fact my climb should be at the end of a 120 mile ride, so I will be in survival mode just getting up the Alp.

You won’t be surprised to hear a lot of Zwift Alpe users have also ridden D’huez IRL. Consensus is that if using an accurate pm or turbo then the times are remarkably close.

Btw, just as an aside... I think the following illustrates the fact the SW platform/simulator you use has a big influence on how representative the experience will be to the real thing....

Example: Yesterday I rode about three quarters of BigRingVR's Liege - Bastogne - Liege part3. Slow going for me and I found it quite tough and one I should have come to after a bit more recovery. However, after the ride I looked at my pathetic times on Strava and in particular on the famous La Redoute climb segment (short but tough)... To try and feel better I looked in my age category on the leaderboard for that segment.
That never made me feel any better (it usually does) and found that the leader had done it in nearly half my time..... but that made me investigate more.

The leader of the 70-74 age group apparently went up it using what is described as "Training on a Tacx Trainer" in the same time as Niki Terpstra has in real life. Realistic, I think not?? Sour grapes from me... maybe!

Top Bottom