'Real' pedals and shoes. How long before making the leap??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allen-uk

There is (tell me something new?) an ENORMOUS amount of both snobbery and bullshit associated with cycling, as with most pastimes.

There is masses of anecdotal evidence that SPDs give you more power, but little in the way of research to back it up.

Me? I have one SPD (on my plastic leg) and one big platform pedal on my real one. Now what would your Frenchmen have said about THAT I wonder.

Conclusion: do what suits you, not what suits some bunch of snooty cyclistes, of whatever nationality.

Allen.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, I bought some clipless pedals and shoes yesterday, so I'll soon know the correct answer to what I prefer (I also have pedals with clip and strap which I originally bought, but then never used, so I'll be able to really research it!).

Now, I'm off to practice getting off the bike without taking it with me!

The shoes incidentally have the ...err, connecting bit ..the cleat?? recessed into the sole of the shoe, so I can walk about in them without having a stupid big bit sticking out the bottom of them!

Also, they are the first shoes with Velcro fasteners I have worn since I was about 10!! :rofl: (bloody nice shoes though).

yashicamat

Mad Doug Biker said:
Well, I bought some clipless pedals and shoes yesterday, so I'll soon know the correct answer to what I prefer (I also have pedals with clip and strap which I originally bought, but then never used, so I'll be able to really research it!).

Now, I'm off to practice getting off the bike without taking it with me!

The shoes incidentally have the ...err, connecting bit ..the cleat?? recessed into the sole of the shoe, so I can walk about in them without having a stupid big bit sticking out the bottom of them!

Also, they are the first shoes with Velcro fasteners I have worn since I was about 10!! :rofl: (bloody nice shoes though).

They sound like SPDs to me. They're great for general use because of the reason you've highlighted; you can still walk around in them normally. In addition to that, there are SPD shoes about that look like casual trainers and even some that look like formal office shoes, so there's no need to wear flashy shoes to pick up a pint of milk or nip to the pub.

bauldbairn

Mad Doug Biker said:
Well, I bought some clipless pedals and shoes yesterday, so I'll soon know the correct answer to what I prefer.

Also, they are the first shoes with Velcro fasteners I have worn since I was about 10!! ;) (bloody nice shoes though).

What type/brand of pedals/shoes did you go for then MDB? :rofl:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yeah sorrry for the delay in replying:

Well, I had gone into Billy Bisland's shop in Glasgow and simply asked about pedals and shoes for a beginner, explaining that I had seen the likes of the '450 mentioned.

Firstly they showed me their range of shoes and I picked a nice pair of Northwave ones (complete with velcro, yes) purely because they were fairly stiff and supportive (I have problems with my right foot you see) and also because they looked good (and are black to match the bike - gotta be colour coordinated you know!).

Secondly, they started on the pedals and were going to sell me a pair untill they tried fitting them to the bottom of the shoe (they set it all up for me there and then which I thought was pretty decent of them), but they wouldn't fit, so they produced another cheaper set that DID fit (I am afraid I just let them bring out what they had).

So, I've ended up with Northwave shoes and some SM-PD22 pedals (all with discount), and with these, I've been cycling about quite happily before occasionally toppling over on stopping! :ohmy:

The pedals come with a black plastic surrounding making them look like normal flat pedals (complete with yellow reflectors), and in fact, they ARE flat on one side, but this can be removed, leaving the clipless pedal on it's own.
Personally, until I get used to them properly, I think I'll keep the plastic surround on, just for security, like.

I have no idea how good the kit really is in the great scheme of things, but it seems to be doing quite well at the moment, and cycling whilst clipped in has been something of a new experience for me! - physically it is completely different from normal pedals because I am now using a different part of my foot to pedal with, and also I am pulling the pedals up with my feet too, which I can feel it exercising the front of my thighs (I've been fafffing about, pedalling with only one foot and everything!).

Once I get used to the new feel, I can see myself quite liking it.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh heck, I have just looked the pedals up and the name given is simply for tthe plastic surround!

I'll now have to go check what the pedals actually are now!

.........Well, ok, maybe later, I'm in bed now.

KevinG

Mad Doug Biker said:
Hello, I have had my bike for just under two weeks now and I have just fitted normal pedals on it to start off with.

On a run on Sunday there, I met some French Tourists at Loch Lomond who were VERY surprised that I didn't have the proper clipless pedals and shoes on a bike like mine (actually, it made me feel rather stupid), and this got me thinking. How long should I really wait until I make the change??

Should I do it ASAP to avoid gettting bad habits?? when I am ready?? or should I be doing certain things to run myself up to being ready for them??

Also, can anyone recommend any that are good for starting off with??

Thanks.

It didn't take me long to make the switch to clipless pedals. Once you've done it, you could never go back, although I keep normals pedals with toe-clips on my commuter as its easier to walk in normal shows when I get to work.

I trained myself to think about unclipping at every stop before I even purchased the new pedals and so far no incidents to report.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have fallen over a few times, once rather embarrasingly:

I was going round a tight and narrow blind corner on a local track and met someone on a bike going the other way.
Instinctively I braked sharply, practially coming to a standstill. Unfortunately I hadn't had time to unclip and I toppled over right in front of the other bike.
Luckily they weren't going very quickly, but BOY! did I feel like an utter div!

To add insult to injury, one foot unclipped in the 'crash', and the other didn't, but could I get it unclipped?? could I heck ....until the guy on the other bike told me to simply take the shoe off and unclip it then.

Doh!!

Them there clipless pedals be dangerous you knows!!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Annyway, on the way back, I was going headlong into a right big 'hoor o' a headwind* and the clipless pedals helped me a lot in just continuing to go forwards at a remotely okay speed, via a lot of pedalling upwards as well as downwards - I was getting blown about and it wasn't just me, the trees and so on were clearly getting a good bluster about also (which didn't make me feel so bad).

One thing though, I have NEVER cyccled on the balls of my feet before, so this is going to take quite a bit of getting used too!!
Heck, my feet were sore afterwards!

Oh yes, and if I keep crashing at this rate, then I can see myself having to buy some new handlebar tape VERY quickly - it has all got rather scuffed and worn over the last couple of days!

I'm already debating with myself about what colour of tape to get once I come out of my bike wrecking faze again! ;)

* - My tribute to this at about 46 seconds in:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPgsMqPQpI

Top Bottom