Realistic targets - Cat & Fiddle climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

I have decided to use the Cat & Fiddle as the benchmark for my fitness training as it is long enough to iron out any minor mishaps and short enough for me to entertain doing it fairly regularly.

At the moment, I'm still plodding around on my Surly LHT touring bike (complete with rack, mudguards, brooks saddle etc. etc.) so it's not exactly a hill sprinter, but I do have something lighter on it's way.

My time this evening, from Lark Hall Crescent (not far from where the road changes to a 50mph limit as it heads out of Macclesfield) was 34 minutes, which included a faff stop for 30 seconds while I re-attached the visor on my helmet. The wind was even-stevens as it was blowing SSW, so it would average out as a cross-wind looking at a map.

So, questions are:-

1) At what level am I starting at? Is that time OK-ish for a non-roadie just getting started (on a touring bike)?

2) What realistic target could I set for this summer? I don't know how much getting a road bike will affect that time (given the LHT weighs in at over 14kg and the roadie I've put a deposit on is just over 8kg . .). I was thinking a target of 28 minutes might be achievable (assuming the change of bike knocks a minute or two off the time, leaving 4 minutes to make up with fitness).

I'd appreciate people's thoughts.:angry:

BTW, I believe the record stands at just under 20 minutes!:biggrin:

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
yashicamat said:
I have decided to use the Cat & Fiddle as the benchmark for my fitness training as it is long enough to iron out any minor mishaps and short enough for me to entertain doing it fairly regularly.

At the moment, I'm still plodding around on my Surly LHT touring bike (complete with rack, mudguards, brooks saddle etc. etc.) so it's not exactly a hill sprinter, but I do have something lighter on it's way.

My time this evening, from Lark Hall Crescent (not far from where the road changes to a 50mph limit as it heads out of Macclesfield) was 34 minutes, which included a faff stop for 30 seconds while I re-attached the visor on my helmet. The wind was even-stevens as it was blowing SSW, so it would average out as a cross-wind looking at a map.

So, questions are:-

1) At what level am I starting at? Is that time OK-ish for a non-roadie just getting started (on a touring bike)?

2) What realistic target could I set for this summer? I don't know how much getting a road bike will affect that time (given the LHT weighs in at over 14kg and the roadie I've put a deposit on is just over 8kg . .). I was thinking a target of 28 minutes might be achievable (assuming the change of bike knocks a minute or two off the time, leaving 4 minutes to make up with fitness).

I'd appreciate people's thoughts.:smile:

BTW, I believe the record stands at just under 20 minutes!:sad:

I hope you aren't taking the short up past the Dog Kennels and the one past the Stanley Arms:biggrin:

I used to live at the top of Macclesfield Old Road in Buxton:smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am taking my son to Jodrell Bank later this month ,have been thinking of taking the bike and doing cat and fiddle road while up there.

Anyone recommend a campsite in that area and where would be a good place to start off for a cat and fiddle ride?

Does this look a sensible route ?
Catandfiddle.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Banjo said:
I am taking my son to Jodrell Bank later this month ,have been thinking of taking the bike and doing cat and fiddle road while up there.

Anyone recommend a campsite in that area and where would be a good place to start off for a cat and fiddle ride?

You could do worse than here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=3751 not stayed there as I don't live that far away but Wincle is close to where you want to be for the C&F and a nice place. There is also a campsite near Goostrey just near Jodrell Bank. Cycled past it on Saturday. Can't remeber the name though.

A point of reference for the start of the climb upto the Cat from Macc is Arighi Biannci at the bottom of Buxton Road about where you map has the pin. If you stay at Wincle you might as well start there though, it is all down hill into Macc from there after you climb out of the valley Wincle is in until you turn back up Buxton Rd.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If anyone gets the chance to visit Wincle Village Fete anytime (think you've already missed this year's) it is utterly BRILLIANT.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a chuffin big hill in Wincle.................and I love it !

Guide for climbing the cat is indeed at Arighi's

Westmead Team 88's club TT up the cat is between 20 and 29 minutes - first to last.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't worry about that. It's the fools on motorbikes that kill themselves.

That said, I have had a bad crash coming down to Macc on the Cat - hit 'dairy product' spillage on one of the corners on the 'flat bit' in the middle at speed.....tore a 6" square patch off me bum, and had to ride 15 miles home with my shorts in tatters..... (lots of dairy tankers go up that way, hot day, overfull load.... all over road)....

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Well I picked up my new (first!) road bike today and took it up the C&F. Not a proper warm up (just the 3 miles to the bottom of the hill) and I only timed it from Larkhall again as I wanted to compare it to the touring bike.

28m 40s :smile:

I'm pretty pleased with that, quite an improvement over the time of nearly 34 minutes on my touring bike. I think the wind direction (SW) today gave me a very slight helping hand though, although it was against me on the long climb towards dead man's bend.:ohmy:

Really pleased with the bike too - definitely climbs better and the close gearing between 25mph and 35mph is a real boon on the flatter sections. Just need to get some major training in now!:smile:

Top Bottom