Really Bizarre Locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
adds21 said:
From the text:

Some will object that felons might cut the rear rim and tire to remove the lock. Believe me, this just doesn't happen in the real world. First, this would be a lot of work to steal a frame without a useable rear wheel, the most expensive part of a bike, after the frame. Second, cutting the rear rim is much harder than you might think. Since the rim is under substantial compression due to the tension on the spokes, it would pinch a hacksaw blade tight as soon as it cut partway through. Then there are the wire beads of the tire, also difficult to cut

Oops! Sorry, I wasn't paying attention at the back of the class. I still think that bolt cutters would get through a rim, no problem.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
slowmotion said:
Oops! Sorry, I wasn't paying attention at the back of the class. I still think that bolt cutters would get through a rim, no problem.

I know that the method of just in the rear triangle is supposed to be safe but as my brain doesn't compute that it is, I manage to lock it with the rear seat stay too as well as the wheel.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have a brompton and when i leave it outside i fold it and stick a kryptonite thru the full shebang....dead safe and small enough to make it difficult to vandalize. however it is left outside very little. great things bromptons.

Davidc

Guru
Opportunists will steal the easiest so a good lock secured to something fixed will usually mean it's someone elses which goes.

The stealing for sale thieves are equipped with effective tools, and if they want your bike will take it.

Alarms in addition to locks are an option to help stop them.

GrasB

Veteran
slowmotion said:

Getting wide jaw bolt croppers with enough handle to brake a rim in a position to do some real damage to the wheel would be difficult.

Top Bottom