Really getting concerned.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I've been getting foot pain whilst riding clipless since i brought my first pair of cycling shoes.I get a numbness on the sole of my feet and underneath my toes after about 6 miles or so.I brought a better quality pair of shoes and still the problem persists.After recomendations i went to my lbs and got sized up for a pair of specialized bg footbeds.I put them in my shoes at the shop and looked forward to an enjoyable pain free ride home,i was wrong.after the same 6 miles ish i could feel the paid returning but not as bad now but still uncomfortable.I'm now booked in for a bike fit so i can get my cleats fully aligned etc hoping that will sort it.
However this is the concern,just been to town with the mrs on my mountain bike(5 miles each way),standard pedals and trainers and i now have exactly the same problem,i have never had any discomfort riding myh mtb with normail trainers.
Any ideas as i'm now beggining to doubt my cycling future :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cleat position may be off? Shoes tightened too tight? Maybe need cleats with float vs locked in pedals?

My toes used to go numb on the turbo, I started loosening the middle strap and the problem went away.

As for it happening when wearing normal trainers, you may have tightened them too much? Using a different position on the pedals to you used to since now you are used to the position the cleats put you in? If you are really concerned go see a doctor about your circulation etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check where your foot sits on the pedal - very important is that your ball of your foot is directly over the axel. Even a few mm out can cause you issues due to foot pressure - certainly did this to me last year, and I should know better - set my shoes up slightly wrong ! Also make sure the straps aren't too tight

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Checked all that mate and was'nt too concerned until today as i said when i was in just normal trainers and standard pedals,i've done 35-40 mile rides on my mtb with no issues before,its only because today is the first chance in a long time i've had of riding the mtb that i noticed i'm having the same problem as my clipless pedals on my roadbike.

Top Bottom