Really peed off!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
So close to finishing the rebuild on my Viking,new (2nd hand) wheels arrived yesterday from ebay,Pro lite Como's,got them fitted and just could'nt resist a little ride to test em out.The front wheels knocks a good un,its loose on the bearings and sounds rough as hell,after a 15 mile ride came home and preceded to whip the bearings out,what greeted me was some very brown bearings and a very liquidated brown mess dripping out from the hub.I cleaned all the bearings,regreased the hub and put it all back together but still the same,is the wheel saveable?

If you plan to keep them then it's got to be worth throwing new bearings in for what they cost, however, I wouldn't have bought those wheels I'm sorry to say.

General opinions seem to agree they are made of cheese!

So if you have a course of redress with the seller I'd maybe look at sending them back if they don't match the sellers description.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
If you plan to keep them then it's got to be worth throwing new bearings in for what they cost, however, I wouldn't have bought those wheels I'm sorry to say.

General opinions seem to agree they are made of cheese!

So if you have a course of redress with the seller I'd maybe look at sending them back if they don't match the sellers description.
I won them for £26 but the shipping from Ireland was a further £25,i read reviews on them and they seemed to fare quite well,awaiting a reply from the seller,got over 800 feedback 100% positive so doubt i'll have a prob,dont want to send em back due to the cost,i'll end up paying £50 in the end.
So it is just a case of new bearings then?If so any idea what size they are?

So it is just a case of new bearings then?If so any idea what size they are?
It'll be stamped on the dust cover of the bearing itself. You don't need to go to a bike shop either as the bearing will be a standard industry size. Check Yell.com for bearing places, call them with the number off the dust cover and they should be a fair bit cheaper than bike shops, and should be able to source different qualities, (SKF are one of the bes), and even ceramic ones if they float your boat.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
It'll be stamped on the dust cover of the bearing itself. You don't need to go to a bike shop either as the bearing will be a standard industry size. Check Yell.com for bearing places, call them with the number off the dust cover and they should be a fair bit cheaper than bike shops, and should be able to source different qualities, (SKF are one of the bes), and even ceramic ones if they float your boat.
There might be the first problem,no dust cover,theres the axle with a screw on cone either end that obviously sit on the bearings then just a locking nut after that.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
A quick Google has turned THIS page up, might be worth a read.

Post #5 sounds like it could be your best option if they are loose bearings :thumbsup:
Cheers Smokey much appreciated mate,mine are not sealed bearings so will pop down to my lbs next week and grab some new ones,what type of grease is best as i have got some silicon grease,copper grease and a tub of normal grease?

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
If they are loose ones they should be dirt cheap :thumbsup:

Just normal grease should be fine. I have got a thing for lithium grease at the moment, but if I didn't have any normal grease would be my choice.
normal grease it is then,cheers for the info mate,much appreciated :thumbsup:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Just use normal grease. Neither copper grease nor silicon grease are suitable for bearings.
Grease comes in a wide variety of colours (including brown).

Top Bottom