Really struggled today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dnrc

Veteran
Hi guys, just want a quick bit of advice from people in the know.

A couple of months ago i started cycling a bit more seriously with a view to doing the London to Brighton.

I have been going out 2-3 times a week doing 20,25 or 35 mile rides. I was doing 20 miles mondays, 8 miles + 1-1.5 hours football wednesdays and 25-35 miles saturdays.

I started doing this beginning of may and apart from 2 weeks holiday early june it was constant. All of these have been at a speed of about 14-16mph

I did 35 miles last saturday then nothing except football during the week then on sunday ended up doing about 65 miles in total. I felt pretty good at the end of it but this was by far the longest ride i have done.

Today though I went out for my 20 mile out and back and just felt terrible the whole time, my legs and bum were sore, i had no energy and just really struggled.

Am i simply overdoing it? I was planning to do a 50 mile ride saturday but am unsure if that's a good idea at the moment?

Interestingly though, i still went at 15mph average tonight, so i guess i am getting stronger.

JonGW

Could be down to over training, but sometimes you've just got to write it off as a bad day.

shippers

Bad day. Maybe got a bit of a cold or something.
Rest up for a couple of days, make sure you get LOADS of liquid in and see how you feel saturday.
Could you do a route that can be cut short if you need to? Figure 8 route or something?

Crankarm

Guru
There could be so many explanations:

diet,
lack of sleep,
lack of stretching/massaging your muscles,
Cycle equipment and set up,
Cycling technique,
Illness,
Lethargy,
Lack of preparation,
Hyrdation issues,
Eating prior to, during and after rides,
Two very different sports using very different muscle sets. Cyclists are generally waifs compared to footballers.

jimboalee

Crankarm said:
There could be so many explanations:

diet,
lack of sleep,
lack of stretching/massaging your muscles,
Cycle equipment and set up,
Cycling technique,
Illness,
Lethargy,
Lack of preparation,
Hyrdation issues,
Eating prior to, during and after rides,
Two very different sports using very different muscle sets. Cyclists are generally waifs compared to footballers.

What time was that OP ? Twenty past ten at night?

OP
OP
D

dnrc

Veteran
Cheers for all the advice/comments guys.

I have had a cold for the last two weeks, it hasn't seemed to have had an effect previously. I guess that and a few dodgy nights sleep (i only got 3.5 hours the night before L2B) finally caught up with me.

I just had a normal day at work, had a coffee, a glass of cranberry and a cheese and onion roll about 20 mins before the ride and 500ml water during i think.

I'll try to get some rest and have another go saturday.

I wanted to do an out and back to cromer (50 miles) but may do bacton instead (42 miles)

Top Bottom