Rear axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What wheels have you got ..

albion

Guru
If they only bend when they are 90% snapped then there's only a few bits left attached before you have a catastrophic failure on heavy braking downhill, or whatever.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can swap a solid axle for a hollow axle and skewer but:
  1. Its a bit of a faff
  2. It takes ages as the protrusion of each side of the hollow axle has to be spot on and equal.
  3. The axle MUST be of the correct length to fit precisely in the dropouts (long enough to fill the thickness but not protrude too far to hinder clamping.)
All in all you are better off with a new solid axle.

OP
OP
busman

busman

It was leaning against the wall in my shed and rubbish had been piled on the rear end. I think its the axle anyway. When you spin the wheel the cassette rotates in a slight oval shape.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for that @raleighnut was gonna get a hollow axle and scewer. I'll just get a new wheel.
Fitting a new 'solid' rear axle is easy-peasy, takes about half an hour as there is no need to be quite as 'accurate' balancing how much sticks out each side (plenty of 'leeway' with wheelnuts. in that as long as the axle goes through the nut fully it doesn't matter how much protrudes beyond it)

midlife

Guru
Take the wheel out and spin the axle and see if its straight. Some designs of freewheels (not sure about cassettes) make that movement new.

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was leaning against the wall in my shed and rubbish had been piled on the rear end. I think its the axle anyway. When you spin the wheel the cassette rotates in a slight oval shape.
Freewheels do 'oscillate' a bit, are you sure the axle is bent (the axle does not rotate. it is solidly fixed and the wheel spins on the axle)

Top Bottom