Rear bike carrier/rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Hi folks, grateful for any advice.

Going on a family trip to the west of Ireland, keen to get some cycling in - with the baby there's no room for the bike in or on top of the car; I was just wondering what people thought of rear mounted carriers like;

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/320-rear-car-bike-rack-3-bikes-id_8357912.html

Bike is carbon so don't want to cheap out if it's likely to cause any damage - would this be suitable? Or any other alternatives? Car is a Nissan Juke with no towbar. Id rather not take the bike if it's likely to get damaged.

Thanks in advance

P.s. hope I posted this in the right section, did a search in case someone had asked the same question and found an old thread (but the links were all 404'd so thought it worth re-asking)

OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
Just bumping in case anyone has any advice? Will the one I've linked to do the job or is it tat?

Cheers

DSK

I now have the;

Thule Raceway 3

raceway-3-1.jpg

I have previously had the Saris Bones 3

Both the Thule and Saris are great racks and the market leaders. The Saris is strong and light, the Thule is strong and heavy. I got the Thule used for £100 and its my favourite, I prefer the built in ratchet straps which keep everything tidy whilst easier to mount. You can lock the anchor controls which stops people being able to fiddle/remove. The bike lock is crap and useless though. The larger footprint of the Thule seats better against the car but, I have had both around 147mph and they have been fine, so I'm being picky! The seat post securing mechanisms are a massive welcome feature on both racks.

I would recommend getting a flop stop bar though to stop the handlebars/wheels flopping around. I have got around this by using a re-usable cable tied around the front wheel/downtube with a cloth between to avoid marking.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
That Decathlon model is identical to the Halfords offering that I have, and mine has been absolutely stellar. I've carried one carbon road bike plus one aluminium road bike to events a couple of hours away and it's been rock solid. 3 bikes is a squeeze but it's doable. You're not going to damage a carbon bike using this carrier, it's nicely padded where needed.

It comes with straps to stop wheels rotating so no worries there, and it would fit something like a Juke perfectly.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would always recommend towbar fitted carriers,

livpoksoc

Guru
If you're bike is of value, don't cut corners with the bike rack. Decathlon do some very good things, but I would look to Thule as others have suggested.

I have some Thule Aero bars, which allow me to fit roof boxes, bike stands or other bits up there which have been absolutely genius. If height is your worry then I guess go tollbar or boot door but don't go cheap.

Have a look at https://www.roofbox.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6qmAkLDk6gIVW-ztCh2nygGdEAAYASAAEgIVS_D_BwE and if you're looking for a bargain, check ebay too. Sometimes someone not far from you has a model you want, at a slightly cheaper price in good nick.

If you do go roof, you'll need the right feet for your car (unless your Juke has bars or rails fitted).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't like boot mount racks. My son has bought one, it's not good - told him he needs more padding on it before he takes bikes on it again. Weight on body panels not designed for it.

I'm roof racks - look <<<< Saloon car, 4 big trail MTB's, loads of boot space (old Nissan Primera). We also have a Qashqai, and I'd not be wanting to put 4 big MTB's up on that's rails. I'd need a step ladder.... OK fuel efficiency isn't good, but had 90 mph with the bikes up there...

Jukes are as tall as a Qashqai, but very small inside.

Let's say, our MTB weekends in Wales have had bikes transported by traditional saloon cars, no hatches..... ! Sooo untrendy... :laugh:

Top Bottom