Rear brake on fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenbank

Über Member
Andy Pandy said:
My pompino has both a front and back brake. However, under hard braking, in my experience, the back brake simply locks the back wheel. I'm not sure that this actually helps in stopping. If you are trying to brake and maneuver (say to miss the rear end of a car that stopped in front of you) locking your back wheel doesn't help. I try to avoid using the back brake, but can't help myself in an emergency.

Sounds like you've learned, and are practicing, poor technique. (This is stated as constructive criticism, not a p*ss take.) Get out of the habit of grabbing the back brake; you don't want to grab the front brake fully on though :biggrin:.

In general do 75% braking with the front and 25% braking with the back. This is what they teach you when learning to ride a motorbike. Also apply the front just before applying the rear and apply the brakes progressively, don't snatch at them.

In the dry you can use more front brake, in the wet/icy conditions you'll probably want to use the more back brake but always use both.

Also put your weight back as far as you can on the saddle, this will help keep the rear tyre firmly on the road and let it contribute to the braking rather than snaking around.

OP
OP
Nick G

Nick G

cchapman said:
As far as knees go, live everyday as if it is your last, which one day it will be. Plan to leave this world with the petrol guage needle on empty. Treat pain as the imposter that it is. If it hurts take an aspro.

I agree with the sentiment, but if I do my knees in in my mid 40's I may be sitting on the drive with the needle on empty long before I leave the world!

yello

Greenbank said:
In general do 75% braking with the front and 25% braking with the back. This is what they teach you when learning to ride a motorbike.Also apply the front just before applying the rear <snip>

I offer no personal comment but would remind readers that a comment similar to this was the source of some heated discussion some months ago and resulted in a relative newbie flouncing off in a huff!

cchapman

All I can say is - I agree with all the posts. Front brake de rigeur, rear as the operator chooses. Back pressure,it's not going to damage the knees but it is going to exercise hitherto dormant muscles, I wonder what descending from Darjeeling to Siliguri jcn (Gauhati ?) would be like. Motorcycle techniques are of course correct, and basically what I use, but if a nipple pulls off an inner cable it will be the front and evasive action will be called for.
I think the original poster should do as he feels comfortable for a few years and then when the question comes up again he can give the benefit of his experience!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm thinking about a fixie for commuting, then the MTB can go back to being a 'ride with the kids bike'.....

I'd have both brakes, as I know how much faster the road bikes are, but that said, I tend to use the rear brake to trim speed, hence more wear, but with a fixie, I'd use the legs.....

Top Bottom