Rear cassette grief

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

hi

I decided to upgrade my turbo trainer to the Elite Muin 2 and purchased a new rear cassette but having trouble fitting it.

It’s a 9 speed cassette shimarno HG, it comes with 2 x spacers which I put on first, the cassette is 1 piece apart from gear 8 and 9 which I put on and tighten, but the cassette isn’t on straight.

I’ve since worked out that the back of the cassette isn’t flat, there is 1 or 2 small circles which are obviously holding the cassette together so when it tightens the cassette isn’t sitting flat against the spacers and I’m not sure how to fix this.

Remove the spacers and the cassette fits better, but I need the spacer else gear 8 is loose.

I didn’t get any spacers with the trainer, just with the cassette, should I have?

Any ideas?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to mimic what's on your existing wheel, i.e. pop a spacer on or not, or extra spacers. Might be 1mm, might be none., might be more....
1 spacer first..

It's the same with different wheels. I have 7-10 speed cassettes over my various wheels, but I thing you need at least a 1mm spacer near the hub with a 9 speed cassette.

You'll also have to re-adjust your indexing.

PS make sure it's all clean

OP
OP
F

fattony

I got the same make and model cassette so the most (in my head) I’d need to do is adjust the barrel for the gears, both 9 speed.

The instructions for the trainer says it needs both spacers but it makes the cassette stil wonky as the back of the cassette isn’t flat, other spacers I’ve seen have inserts and grooves these are just o rings

JhnBssll

Veteran
I see what you mean. You may need to source a different spacer with recessed areas for the pins that protrude from the cassette. Ask at your lbs, I'm sure they'll have a little drawer full of them out the back :okay::laugh:

OP
OP
F

fattony

Thanks, I went to Evans today and they gave me a couple of spacers, neither fit as they don’t have the right grooves to slide onto the hub, surely the trainer should come with the spacers?

I could try another bike store, just frustrating

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did you line up the 1 fat groove - sprockets only go on that way and the 1mm spacers need to fit the same... the 3mm spacers are just plastic.

OP
OP
F

fattony

The spacers are metal (1mm?) with no grooves or indents so they just slide on and rotate?

The sprocket only goes on one way, I just rotated it until it slid on.

I guess I need a spacer from the trainer manufacturer rather than the cassette

JhnBssll

Veteran
Can you take some photos of the parts? Are you saying the spacers that came with the cassette don't sit flat against the cassette? Seems unusual.

OP
OP
F

fattony

I’ve managed to sort it, on the shimarno 9 speed HG cassette there are 2 pins at the back which stick out, only maybe 1mm but the 2 metal spacers had no grooves so when I tightened the cassette it sat at an angle.

I went to a independent bike shop this morning and gave them a couple quid as they let me raid their spacers, had a plastic one with holes for the pins pre drilled, I had to open them slightly but it’s on now

Thanks

Top Bottom