rear cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

having bought a turbo trainer and used it twice it seems to like wearing down my nice continental contact tyres. So i thought i'd put together another rear wheel to use on the trainer.

I have a wheel, spare tyre and inner tube but need a cassette. The cassette i have already is an 8 speed (shimano) and so i've looked on CRC and found this. would it be suitable...?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1864

Cheers

Darren

Yup.

gbb

Legendary Member
Why is it some turbo users suffer from tyre wear...yet i (and others) dont.

I just use my winter bike, shod with its normal Conti Gatorskin and a Cycleops Magneto.
The roller / flywheel swings into the tyre, and i just set it so its just touching. That does mean when you start you get a tiny bit of slip, but within a second the momentums built up, no problem.

No heat build up on the tyre, no rubber dust on the floor...nothing.
Perhaps some tyres are better suited ?

OP
OP
D

DLB

gbb said:
Why is it some turbo users suffer from tyre wear...yet i (and others) dont.?

i guess it's probably dependent on how much pressure there is between the tyre and the roller. i've used it twice and had a good degree of pressure each time (like i was climbing a steady hill)

OP
OP
D

DLB

would the last of these ratios be the easiest...?

12-21 - 12.13.14.15.16.17.19.21
12-23 - 12.13.14.15.17.19.21.23
12-25 - 12.13.15.17.19.21.23.25
13-23 - 13.14.15.16.17.19.21.23
13-26 - 13.14.15.17.19.21.23.26

OP
OP
D

DLB

Smokin Joe said:
It would, but why worry about gear ratios on a turbo? You won't be climbing any hills.

good point!!!

perhaps it's because i imagine i'm climbing hills when i'm on the TT??

OP
OP
D

DLB

just ordered the 13-26. i know it doesn't make an difference on the turbo but if want to use the cassette on the bike outside, this would be best for me.

Your help and advice is appreciated

Darren

papercorn2000

Tyres-wise, try and get some solid tyres (greentyres). They are rubbish on the road but ideal if you have a turbo-specific wheel or bike.

Top Bottom