Rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
Excuse the noob question basically my mrs has a trek with 50/34 front and 12-30 rear.
The problem occurs when she is trying to keep up with me on the flat she spins out and seems to run out of gears also she is spinning out uphills she feels there is a couple of gears missing.
Would a change of cassette to 11-28 or 11-32 help and if so would the R/D need changing as it is currently a short cage (i think) or anything else need to be changed?
This is her bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products...pFXT0AZFfMG6k-q21QBZwaAt6p8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Well with 50-12 at a reasonable cadence of 80 she'd be doing 26mph on the flat which seems plenty fast enough to me!
Are you sure she is changing up into the highest gear she currently has available?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
None of this makes sense. If she can actually spin out 50/12 I'd assume that there are no gears missing when the road points up. If anything the 30 is probably too low!

Just go ride a bit more and all these "problems" will disappear. If they don't, take the bike into the garage, close the door and "work" on it for an hour or so. Then go for a ride and ask if it is better. It will be.

T4tomo

Guru
So she's not a strong as you, which is why she can't keep up on the flat. She'd be better of in 50:14 or 50:15 on the flat and pedalling faster than grinding along in 50:12, that's a gear for going down hill

T.M.H.N.E.T

So she's not a strong as you, which is why she can't keep up on the flat. She'd be better of in 50:14 or 50:15 on the flat and pedalling faster than grinding along in 50:12, that's a gear for going down hill
She spins 50/12 out apparently, I'd love to see her doing 245RPM(not accurate) in 50/14 to maintain the same pace

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yep she runs out gears as in i pull away from her and she is in 50/12
She has not run out of gears on the flat or up hill - you are fitter than her so she can't keep up!

She has a wider range of gears than most riders in the past ever had and many of them will have been much fitter and faster than her.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
I have the same setup, 50/34 and 12/30 and my bike manages just fine with the Lancashire hills, both up and down. The best option would be to change to a 11/28 to give her a better top gear and better cadence control, if she's spinning out the 30T. You could also look at changing the chain rings to 52/36 and leaving the cassette as is. Depends whether she's willing to sacrifice a bit of hill performance.

winjim

Smash the cistern
She is moving up to the big chainring isn't she? Also what do you mean by "spinning out" uphill?

T.M.H.N.E.T

I have the same setup, 50/34 and 12/30 and my bike manages just fine with the Lancashire hills, both up and down. The best option would be to change to a 11/28 to give her a better top gear and better cadence control, if she's spinning out the 30T. You could also look at changing the chain rings to 52/36 and leaving the cassette as is. Depends whether she's willing to sacrifice a bit of hill performance.
Spinning out refers to the other end of the cassette and large chainring not the 30t uphill. And even if it was possible to spin out a 30 uphill, why not shift up to the 27t 24 or 21t.

There is something wrong with the information presented.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why do you not become s gentleman and slow slightly.

What is your average speed over a 25 mile ride? What is her normal cadence.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
She is moving up to the big chainring isn't she? Also what do you mean by "spinning out" uphill?
I think that could be the problem ... We think of 'spinning out' meaning that we are undergeared and can't pedal fast enough. I suspect that mrs stevey means that she can't turn the pedals round fast enough, which is the opposite problem! She isn't fit enough to ride at the speeds that she is trying to ride at, in the gears she has selected.

Top Bottom