Rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I'd be surprised if your chainrings needed replacement yet (unless it's an old bike with previous wear).

I've got over 15000 miles on mine on a road bike. If you're constantly riding on gritty/gravelly trails then they may show signs of wear.

EDIT: cross-chaining (big/big or small/small wears them prematurely).

I think it depends on the quality of the components, and if there is new chain/cassette it MAY show on the chainrings.

Fubar

Guru

Teeth do look a bit worn, difficult to tell though - no idea about sizing. Not saying they HAVE to be replaced, just something to look out for.

ayceejay

Guru
I would say that two of your front chain rings are worn but your cassette isn't although it is difficult to see the small cogs. As evidence check the different shape of the teeth in the small chain ring (which you probably don't use much with the shape of the teeth on the other rings.

sittingbull

Veteran
They do look worn, particularly the big ring but having not worn any out myself I wouldn't like to comment on just how worn they are.

I think the angle of the pics could be a little deceptive, square-on is usually best.

If the new chain is slipping on the cassette then the only option is to replace the cassette and see how things are then. I'd suggest using a chain wear indicator to monitor future chain wear. I've got partially worn cassettes on which a new chain has slipped that I've had to remove. However they've worked fine once refitted after the new chain has had a few hundred miles of use.

Once the chain wear indicator (0.75%) fits into the links at 3 points around the chain then I bin the chain. This hopefully preserves the cassette, you shouldn't need a new cassette with each new chain.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cassette looks fine to me.

Middle ring at the front is showing some typical 'shark tooth' wear.

Does the chain slip when it's on either the smallest or biggest ring?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I've seen a lot worse; mine for example. I wait until everything is totally worn out and then replace everything. My standard test is to remove the cassette and a chainring. I then take the cassette apart and throw a selected sprocket and the chainring at a brick wall.

If they are sharp enough to stick in the wall then it is time to replace and I donate them to the local ninja training centre.

If they fall to the ground then it is back on the bike for another six months. I last did my touring MTB about 15000 ago. It'll soon be time I suspect!

sittingbull

Veteran
........ I wait until everything is totally worn out and then replace everything ........

I'm guessing this would work until the chain eventually slips or snaps.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have only ever snapped one chain. I was grinding up a very steep hill at Uni in the dead of night somewhat the worse for alcohol. It hurt, but luckily nobody was around to:

1 Laugh.
2 Run over my groaning remains writhing in the road.

Top Bottom