Rear Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedywheelsjeans

Why do I have to be cursed with such powerful legs? Chewed up another rear cassette today, my second in a year, chain slips on 3 of the gears now, Its been a tad jumpy for a while but nows its definitely had it! Had to detach my derailleur and leave it in the least worn ring to get home.

Anyway, has anyone ever used Shimano HG cassettes before? My bike is currently running Dura Ace but the wallet wont allow for a replacement for a little while (curse my bike snobbery!!)... need a cassette quick!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Why do I have to be cursed with such powerful legs? Chewed up another rear cassette today, my second in a year, chain slips on 3 of the gears now, Its been a tad jumpy for a while but nows its definitely had it! Had to detach my derailleur and leave it in the least worn ring to get home.

Anyway, has anyone ever used Shimano HG cassettes before? My bike is currently running Dura Ace but the wallet wont allow for a replacement for a little while (curse my bike snobbery!!)... need a cassette quick!

Indeed! DuraAce cassettes have some Ti cogs. Like for like Ti is lighter but not as tough as decent steel. Get good, lower grade cassette of the same speed/teeth to lift the curse! :angel:

OP
OP
Speedywheelsjeans

Speedywheelsjeans

Indeed! DuraAce cassettes have some Ti cogs. Like for like Ti is lighter but not as tough as decent steel. Get good, lower grade cassette of the same speed/teeth to lift the curse! :angel:

Ive not really tried many rear cassettes out, My current bike chain is a dura ace 9 speed, would it fit a shimano HG without much slip or shifting troubles due to the difference in chain and cassette? the chain is fairly new... which is one of the reasons for the slipping too, the old chain had worn at the same rate as the cassette... so this new chain now jumps and has finished off my cassette.

From what im aware HG seems to be the cheapest cassette out there... am i better using my money elsewhere or will this do the trick?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your using a 9 speed Shimano compatible chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette it will change fine.And I bet the difference will be barely detectable when riding .Quite a noticeable difference in the bank account drain though.

OP
OP
Speedywheelsjeans

Speedywheelsjeans

If your using a 9 speed Shimano compatible chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette it will change fine.And I bet the difference will be barely detectable when riding .Quite a noticeable difference in the bank account drain though.

Okay cool, I guess its not as if im competing of top times in tour de france. I'll give the HG a go then

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
In case you are unaware, using worn chain with new cassette or new chain with worn cassette will accelerate wear. This tells you how to tell which is worn.
And how to oil it properly! :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
For checking chain wear I recently invested £8.99 in one of these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Park-Tool-CC3C-Chain-Wear-Indicator_11160.htm
Easy to use. My hybrid chain was so worn the gauge just rattled around so had to change the chain and cassette. Cant complain though both must have done about 10 thousand miles. I wondered if the chain rings would need replacing too after such long neglect but luckilly they seem ok with the new chain.

Put a SRAM cassette on it, IMO they do better ratios. It may be coincidence but its the only cassette (apart from my campy veloce) I've got more than one chain to. The last chain I replaced was after 3900 hard winter miles an the new chain/ existing SRAM cassette paired up very well :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Another vote for SRAM cassettes. I use PG-850s (8sp) and they are nicely set up with much smaller gaps at the top and larger gaps at the bottom which for me seems a much more useful setup than the more even distribution on Shimano cassettes

OP
OP
Speedywheelsjeans

Speedywheelsjeans

Put a SRAM cassette on it, IMO they do better ratios. It may be coincidence but its the only cassette (apart from my campy veloce) I've got more than one chain to. The last chain I replaced was after 3900 hard winter miles an the new chain/ existing SRAM cassette paired up very well :smile:

I'll look at SRAM, Ive not over used them but ive seen their prices. I'll have a gander.

Top Bottom