Rear end clanking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dobber154

Hi
I'm new to the forum and have recently bought an etrike because of balance issues.
When I out for a ride recently somebody pointed out that my trike made clanking noises going round corners. Must admit I thought it was normal cos of the rear wheels turning at different speeds when cornering on a trike. Anybody any idea what could be wrong?

There isn't enough info to work with here and I doubt you'll be back in anyway. Speculation is therefore futile.

Bristolian

This may not be relevant ... but there again it just might be.

My wife received a new mobility scooter recently that developed a similar sound when cornering and eventually even when moving in a straight line. The rear wheels are prevented from rotating on the rear axle by a Woodruff key on both ends and one of those was slightly undersized allowing the wheel to move slightly. A new Woodruff key sorted out the clanking noise.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

dobber154

This may not be relevant ... but there again it just might be.

My wife received a new mobility scooter recently that developed a similar sound when cornering and eventually even when moving in a straight line. The rear wheels are prevented from rotating on the rear axle by a Woodruff key on both ends and one of those was slightly undersized allowing the wheel to move slightly. A new Woodruff key sorted out the clanking noise.

I hope this helps.

Rang the bike shop where I bought the trike and they collected it. They've since rung me and said the axle was out of alignment and they've ordered the parts from the importer, so hopefully be soon back on the road. Thanks for being helpful instead of cynical like an earlier post I read.

Top Bottom