Rear-ended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I was just coming home from work, using the road that goes past the Sainsbury's in Nantwich rather than the bypass. I had stopped in traffic, nose to tail, on this stretch of road just before the large roundabout on the bypass road, I was going towards Middlewich road at the time.

The traffic was stationary in front of me and I was in primary, it was still plain daylight at around 4:00 so I didn't have the lights switched on but I should have been clearly visible with my red winter jersey on. I then felt a gentle bump from behind, I looked around and saw the car's bumper right on my rear tyre and pressing the mudguard quite a bit. Te driver was a middle-aged woman and she didn't seem angry or frustrated at all. I shouted the usual "OI!" but not really that load, just more of an annoyed tone with no swearing
happy.gif
and a little bit on hand gestures but no "finger".
She clearly said sorry through the windscreen and I put my hand up to acknowledge it, we then went our separate ways as I was going to Middlewich Road and she was off towards the Peacock roundabout.

I don't know what caused this
huh.gif
, maybe she has really bad clutch control or was just edging forward and expecting me to do the same, who knows?

Not really worth reporting I think, I just hope rear wheel is ok
ohmy.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had the same myself - got a "I am so very sorry" muttered through the windscreen. Simple not paying attention.

I had a similar one a while back; I was sitting in the primary, in a right turn lane with a car and van in front of me and a couple of cars stationary behind me (or so I thought) I suddenly found my self getting pushed towards the van, turned to see a middle aged women fidgeting with something in her glove compartment; she must of got bored sitting in the queue but forgot to put it in neutral. The wheel was fine though and lasted for another couple of thousand miles before it was replaced.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I had a similar experience in Melton Mowbray a while back, although I was in my car. I stopped behind several other cars at a traffic light and was blissfully listening to mary Black on the CD player. H aving been stopped for a minute or so, I noticed a car approaching rather quickly from the rear then felt his rapid approach as a nudge forward despite the handbrake being applied.

I got out of the car and saw that the foolowing car had nudges into my tow bar, fortunately causing no damage. The driver of the offending car said, and I quote, "it's an automatic, it does that sometimes."

What sensible response could I have made?

subaqua

What’s the point
"try driving with the brain manually engaged then "

would have been mine.

thats just driving with due care and attention, if such an offence exists.

henshaw11

Ditto, some years ago at a mini roundabout. Middle (?)-aged woman in (low) volvo.

Bearing in mind how many drivers sit up each other's jacksie anyway..not knowing where the end of the bonnet is ?

I had a similar experience in Melton Mowbray a while back, although I was in my car. I stopped behind several other cars at a traffic light and was blissfully listening to mary Black on the CD player. H aving been stopped for a minute or so, I noticed a car approaching rather quickly from the rear then felt his rapid approach as a nudge forward despite the handbrake being applied.

I got out of the car and saw that the foolowing car had nudges into my tow bar, fortunately causing no damage. The driver of the offending car said, and I quote, "it's an automatic, it does that sometimes."

Learn to drive it properly then.

the only mistakes i've made when driving automatics is putting them in reverse at traffic lights when I've been sat in neutral. Realised when the car nudged against the brakes so didn't go backwards into anyone thankfully.

Are handbrakes now an extra in cars today?

yup, everyone just sits there dazzling each other with their brakelights or slipping the clutch, hence people reaching to change the CD or whatever and nudging forwards.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Got rear-ended last January I think it was. Guy gave me a bit of abuse, my bike jammed under his bumber in an upright position, so I got off and walked over to him and told him off. I think my size intimidated him. Wouldnt put his haz'rads on or anything, had to convice him to reverse it so I could check the wheel over.

No damage as far as I could see so went to say I was prepared to leave it and not report him, as I'm shaking his hand he tells me I've "made him late for work." WTF. I asked him if people's safety and property was less important than his time and to get up earlier if that was the case and get out of my sight.

Still makes me angry now. Bright side, his bumper was screwed.:thumbsup:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...

Get a car with a towbar
:evil:

small fish

Actually when you think how common rear end shunts are in cars I'm surprised this doesn't happen to us more often.
Not been hit myself but did have a heartstopper once while waiting to turn right... Big Sound of tyres losing grip close behind - looked over my shoulder in time to see the face of a jag driver change from terrified to relieved as he came to a halt less than a metre from my rear tyre... I imagine my facial expressions were much the same as his!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Actually when you think how common rear end shunts are in cars I'm surprised this doesn't happen to us more often.
Not been hit myself but did have a heartstopper once while waiting to turn right... Big Sound of tyres losing grip close behind - looked over my shoulder in time to see the face of a jag driver change from terrified to relieved as he came to a halt less than a metre from my rear tyre... I imagine my facial expressions were much the same as his!

Have had the same moving and stopped. When I'm waiting at junctions I find myself now paranoidly scanning behind me for moving traffic to make sure its stopping. If it doesnt I'll bail.

EDIT hopefully!

When I picked up my brand new shiny motorbike a while ago after graduating, I stopped at some lights on amber (people waiting to cross) and a car skidded and shunted my m'cycle forward a meter or so. The bike was 4 hours old
angry.gif

"the lights were on amber" was the excuse given. Nice to know he was watching what was in front of him.
angry.gif

Attachments

• angry.gif
    angry.gif
    253 bytes · Views: 22
Top Bottom