Rear-ended

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Touch wood, I've only had that brown trouser moment in a car, sitting at the rear of a queue of other cars on a dual cw, which the driver behind fails to spot, cue some hard braking and skidding and all I could do is watch it my mirror.

I've been on the other end of that. A few years back I was coming over a bridge in Falkirk in an articulated lorry, doing around 30mph. Something over the parapet of the bridge momentarily caught my attention and when I looked at the road ahead again, I discovered that the traffic had stopped about 50 yards ahead of me, and there I was still doing 30mph. I stood on the brakes and wrenched the wheel over to the right, and as the car at the back of the queue disappeared under my windscreen I was waiting for the impact. I came to a stop with the back wheels of my tractor unit roughly level with the driver of the car. :ohmy:

Then all the traffic moved off and I got back onto the correct side of the road and carried on.

PBancroft

I've been on the other end of that. A few years back I was coming over a bridge in Falkirk in an articulated lorry, doing around 30mph. Something over the parapet of the bridge momentarily caught my attention and when I looked at the road ahead again, I discovered that the traffic had stopped about 50 yards ahead of me, and there I was still doing 30mph. I stood on the brakes and wrenched the wheel over to the right, and as the car at the back of the queue disappeared under my windscreen I was waiting for the impact. I came to a stop with the back wheels of my tractor unit roughly level with the driver of the car. :ohmy:

Then all the traffic moved off and I got back onto the correct side of the road and carried on.

Eeep! I've done something similar when I hit the brakes too hard on a patch of surface water. I was in a mini and started aquaplaning towards standstill traffic at a junction ahead. Luckily the car I was heading towards moved forwards a car length, and the car behind stayed put. I slotted inbetween the two quite neatly, and we all carried on as if I had intended to do that all along...
cool.gif

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I had a similar experience in Melton Mowbray a while back, although I was in my car. I stopped behind several other cars at a traffic light and was blissfully listening to mary Black on the CD player. H aving been stopped for a minute or so, I noticed a car approaching rather quickly from the rear then felt his rapid approach as a nudge forward despite the handbrake being applied.

I got out of the car and saw that the foolowing car had nudges into my tow bar, fortunately causing no damage. The driver of the offending car said, and I quote, "it's an automatic, it does that sometimes."

What sensible response could I have made?

Last summer I had a teenager who was speeding and not looking at the road ram hard into the back of my car while I was stopped at a school crossing with the five-year-olds going across in a crocodile with the lollipop woman. Luckily I had the handbrake on as per usual, or I would have been shunted forward and killed the lot of them. Anyway, the teenager in question went white as a sheet and started shaking when I told him how many children he would have killed if my car had not been in the way. Also, my towbar made light work of the front of his car.

Top Bottom