Rear gear adjustments.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BobbyO

Hello, hope someone could offer some advice. I have followed online instructions to adjust my rear gears. (I have a 24 gear Scott mountain bike that doesn't like to change down on each click and doesn't like to select the highest gear at all.) It just didn't seem to work, especially when it came to the chain moving from gear 7 to 8. I tried adjusting the high adjustment screw but in the end, I adjusted it so much the screw came out! In theory, doesn't this mean that the chain should fall of the cassette if number 8 is selected? It stayed firmly on number 7.

Are there any other gear components that could be causing the problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Rob

Alembicbassman

Confused.com

When making adjustments I always go with the following rule, it has worked so far for me.

Standing behind the rear wheel, looking towards the bike, adjust the knurled screw on the rear deralier anti clockwise if you want the chain to travel further in towards the wheel (as you appear to need) or adjust the screw clockwise to get the chain to travel outwards towards the smaller rear chain cogs.

Only adjust in small increments, say quarter of a turn at a time.

Have fun

Brian

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I had a similar situation on my road bike a wee while ago.

I had followed the Bike Tutor advice to no avail.

When adjusting the tension knob (the one at the back), it didn't 'feel' right. Closer inspection indicated that the knob was rotating but the cable was not tightening nor slacking.

I removed the crimped thing, removed the cable from the rear assembly and gave it all a good clean. Lubed the inside of the cable holder and re-assembled.

IT WORKED !
thebiggrin.gif

The tension adjuster worked, the chain would move and I could use my small ring again.

(I was also very relieved
whistling.gif
)

Top Bottom