Rear Gear Alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
I used this tool (new tool, first use) on a Specialized Allez, aluminium frame, alloy hanger. There was definitely flex (bounce or slop) at 12 and 6 o'clock, with some at 9 and 3. I had checked the hanger was tight against the frame although the hanger was bent and likely weak.

Since then I have used it on a Holdsworth Professional 531c Reynolds steel (integrated hanger). No flex and the tool was much easier to use. Alignment was perfect without adjustment.

Next up I'll try a new hanger on the Allez, I think it will still flex during alignment, such is the nature of the hanger.

Having read this thread with interest and having had a recent drive-side altercation with the tarmac resulting in an obviously bent hanger, I decided to get a Park hanger alignment tool.

It seems straightforward to use, basically it's trial and error until getting a satisfactory result.

First thing I noticed though is that this tool is heavy, and that weight has been extended further out from the hanger (compared to the previous tool) to allow the tool to rotate past a pannier rack etc

In fact I'm not surprised that new hangers would appear out at 12 o'clock due to this weight flexing the hanger towards the wheel.

I'm sure Park will have considered this in the tool design and presumably tool weight has a negligible effect, plus countless users seem happy with the results, but I'm still wondering whether the tool itself could distort the results?

Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. The ParkTool is a crude lump of chromed pig iron. It is horrible. Covet a Shimano one.

sittingbull

Veteran
The Park tool reminds me of a wheel brace :smile:

However, even with any flaws, is there anything better in the same price bracket? I could never justify the cost of some of the more expensive alignment tools based on (in)frequency of use.

Top Bottom