Rear gear question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
My bike has a Shimano MF TZ37 Megarange rear freewheel (14-34T). Top speed is a bit un-pokey for going down hills.

The smallest gear I can find on a 7-speed freewheel is 13. Is the difference between 14 and 13 enough to notice?

Thanks
Liz

The front chainrings are the thing to look at - what are they ATM?

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
accountantpete said:
The front chainrings are the thing to look at - what are they ATM?

Hi Pete, thanks for your help

The front is 32/44

The bike is a 2nd hand Carrera Subway 1 Town and Trail. My bike's been stolen so I've picked the Subway up as a cheap stand-in til my company starts the cycle to work scheme.

The bike it's standing in for was a Dahon Cadenza:

Crankset FSA Vero Compact, 50-36T Cassette 8 speed, 11-28T

not that I ever got anywhere near the top of the range, but you can see why I notice the difference

gbb

Legendary Member
brokenbetty said:
Hi Pete, thanks for your help

The front is 32/44

The bike is a 2nd hand Carrera Subway 1 Town and Trail. My bike's been stolen so I've picked the Subway up as a cheap stand-in til my company starts the cycle to work scheme.

The bike it's standing in for was a Dahon Cadenza:

Crankset FSA Vero Compact, 50-36T Cassette 8 speed, 11-28T

not that I ever got anywhere near the top of the range, but you can see why I notice the difference

A few things to remember if you're looking at fitting say a 48/something..
Some frames have been designed specifically for a certain chainset. For example, i had a similar setup on a cheapie bike. Thought i'd fit a 48...no can do, the larger chainset fouled on the chainstays. It just wasnt designed for anything larger than a 44.

If you can fit a larger chainset, you'll have to reposition the front mech. That can be problematic or it could be easy.

You will almost certainly need a longer chain.

Mr Pig

gbb said:
If you can fit a larger chainset, you'll have to reposition the front mech. That can be problematic or it could be easy.

A mate of mine fitted a big ring, I think it was 52, to his MTB and the dérailleur worked fine.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
A mate of mine fitted a big ring, I think it was 52, to his MTB and the dérailleur worked fine.
As Lee says it depends on the mech fitted.
Op may be able to do a straight swap, but it's better he's prepared for the 'possible' problems he may encounter.
As i always say...never take anything for granted.

gbb

Legendary Member
gbb said:
As Lee says it depends on the mech fitted.
Op may be able to do a straight swap, but it's better he's prepared for the 'possible' problems he may encounter.
As i always say...never take anything for granted.

My apologies Liz....that'll teach me to read the post in full :bravo:

brodie

I think I will keep it as it is and try to pedal faster :bravo:

Or stop pedalling and let gravity do the work :bravo:.

jimboalee

I bought a Raleigh Firefly dead cheap and it had 42/32/22 to a 14 - 28 freewheel.

I had no problem commuting on it with slick tyres.

I used top on only a few occasions when the wind was howling up my jaxee. I usually coast downhill to save energy.

The 22 x 28 was a new experience for me then so I took it to the Malverns for a laugh.

Top Bottom