Rear Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
Can someone explain why there seems to be two general types.

One long
Long.jpg

and one short
Short.jpg

I assume advantage and disadvantages of each?

thanks
Jeff

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
short limits the size/No of teeth, you can run on the back, the more teeth the easier the gear. If you want to run a wide ratio cassette, 11-32/11-34, you need a long mech.

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Ok, that makes sense. So.....why not use a long one all the time, just in-case you feel like changing rear gearing.
What would be the advantage of a shorter one then?

Jeff

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
porkypete said:
Some people consider long cage to be ugly/unfashionable/extra weight.
Most of us just put up with the jibes - we need those gears!

Would be my understanding though I'm sure that some will also have convinced themselves that short is faster:biggrin: I'm sure there is an element of difference with chain length required etc, but not so sure it would be appreciable in any real sense.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
MacB said:
short limits the size/No of teeth, you can run on the back, the more teeth the easier the gear. If you want to run a wide ratio cassette, 11-32/11-34, you need a long mech.

Not exactly. The long cage lets the mech cope with more chain - so you can use a triple. An MTB mech will cope with more teeth on the cassette - you can have a road mech with a cage as long as you like and it'll still struggle with more than a 28T cog on the back.

plantfit

Guru
The long cage is designed to cope with a triple chainset and larger cassette, as on a mountain bike, the short cage mainly for double chainset and smaller cassette as on a road bike. hope this helps

Rog

hubgearfreak

Über Member
porkypete said:
Some people consider long cage to be ugly

oh yes, whilst the short cage doesn't look at all like a badly packed kebab:tongue:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jethro10 said:
Ok, that makes sense. So.....why not use a long one all the time, just in-case you feel like changing rear gearing.
What would be the advantage of a shorter one then?
The ones with shorter cages generally have the angle of the parallelogram set at a shallower angle. This means that the top jockey wheel doesn't move downwards so fast as it moves inwards and remains closer to the sprockets.
It means that the shifting is better, but it limits the size of the largest sprocket you can use.

Top Bottom