Rear Hub help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

With all the recent bad weather and poor road conditions my rear hub has started making a very faint ticking noise not loud enough to hear on the bike however.

Its a Deore hub which I understand is not fully sealed and also noticed today after getting to work that when spinning the back wheel it comes to an abrupt end rather quickly like the brake was engaged (the disk is not hitting the pads though).

I do not have the tools to service the hub and in any case it was serviced only 2 months ago now. Is there anything I can do i.e. spray GT85 or something that can alleviate the problem until I have time to take it in ?.

Many Thanks

tyred

Legendary Member
I definitely wouldn't spray GT85 into it. It would wash out whatever grease is in there. It really needs to be stripped I'm afraid. It's worth learning to do this yourself. A few cone spanners aren't going to break the bank and Sheldon Brown wrote an excellent guide.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Maybe lay the wheel on it's side and dribble some 3 in 1 into the bearing. When you think you've got some in turn wheel over and repeat.

But mostly it needs stripping down and done properly. It'll be water in a bearing.

Top Bottom