Rear light mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have an issue about how to mount my rear light.
I have a Toppeak aero wedge bag.
This has a loop on the back for the light, however, when the light is attached it points up into the air.
I can't mount it on the seatpost as it is too full and it would be obscured by the wedge bag.
I thought about mounting it on one of the rear seat stays (where I have already remounted the rear reflector).
The problem is that of the 2 brackets supplied, 1 is too small and the other (seatpost one) is too large. I could add some packing to make the seatpost bracket fit the seat stay, but I would prefer it to be as high as posssible.
I came up with a compromise - I tiewrapped the small bracket to the wedge bag loop. This seems to be fine as the angle for the light is better. However, there is one small issue in the the light wobbles about a bit with the bag. It isn't moving a lot and always goes back to the correct position. Will it be OK?
Can others think of a better way of attaching the light?
I have attached some pictures to illustrate what I have done.

Gixxerman said:
I have an issue about how to mount my rear light.
I have a Toppeak aero wedge bag.
This has a loop on the back for the light, however, when the light is attached it points up into the air.
I can't mount it on the seatpost as it is too full and it would be obscured by the wedge bag.
I thought about mounting it on one of the rear seat stays (where I have already remounted the rear reflector).
The problem is that of the 2 brackets supplied, 1 is too small and the other (seatpost one) is too large. I could add some packing to make the seatpost bracket fit the seat stay, but I would prefer it to be as high as posssible.
I came up with a compromise - I tiewrapped the small bracket to the wedge bag loop. This seems to be fine as the angle for the light is better. However, there is one small issue in the the light wobbles about a bit with the bag. It isn't moving a lot and always goes back to the correct position. Will it be OK?
Can others think of a better way of attaching the light?
I have attached some pictures to illustrate what I have done.
I use the same light with a Topeak bag too. You've attached it wrong in your first picture, you don't need the bracket. Press the clip at the bottom and slide the led out and its got a tailor made clip built in.

base_media
14828.jpg

Norm

HLaB said:
I use the same light with a Topeak bag too.
Me too, although my light is the 1/2 watt so slightly different, it has the same mount and I clip the light straight onto the bag.

I'm wondering if this isn't what Mr Suzuki meant, though, when he said that clipping the light to the bag meant it points up into the air. If that is the case, and it depends on the saddle, post, where you have the saddle on the rails, where you mount the bracket etc, you might be able to juggle with the position to get the back of the bag more vertical, so that the light works as intended.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Yep I spotted that. However, when attached directly to the bag, it is pointing up in the air which kinda makes the rear light less effective.
Does anyone make a mounting bracket that fits to the underside of the seat (on the rails).

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I just had another look (at this time of night - how sad are we?).
I might be able to make the small bracket fit on the saddle rail with a bit of rubber padding I have lying about.
That would be that best solution.
As any mount on the bag will wobble about a bit as the bag always wobbles about a bit.
Maybe I am worrying about it too much. It wobbling about a bit might be a good thing as it might attract the attention of Mr/Mrs myopia better.
I will have a sleep on it.
The lights however are brilliant. I got the Smart Polaris 7 Lux lightset from CRC for £18.00.
The rear light is very bright and the front is even brighter. The front has a slightly bluish tinge to it as well.
Went out for a ride tonight down a dark road to test it and I can go at full pelt with no problems seeing.
Car drivers still don't dip their lights soon enough though :laugh:.

Norm

Gixxerman said:
Car drivers still don't dip their lights soon enough though :smile:.
What you need is a head torch. :blush:

I think that wobbling a bit will help, unless you use the rear light in flash mode anyway, but it will definitely be better if you can mount it vertically so the light is strongest to the rear.

My wife uses a Dinotte with battery pack. To make a simple and detachable one piece unit, I adapted a Topeak Micro bag, but the idea may help..

Piece of plastic pipe and cut to length you require.

Drill a small hole through the centre and then enlarge one to take a screwdriver

Drill a hole in the base of the bag.

Using a couple pf old V Brake spacers to give a gap between bag and pipe now assemble , large "penny washer inside bag, then washer, spacer, pipe, small washer, and bolt into place. Allows easy fitting of light and light detaches with bag.

Also a Topeak "Space Grip" can fit on to a seat post, then rotate the end through 90 degrees and get additional seatpost space. Also brigs light further away from post which makes it more visible when used with a saddlebag or seat pack

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I clip mine to the Topeak bag as per your second picture but it has bounced off over some bumps so I drilled a little hole and used a cable tie to fix it on.

Top Bottom