rear mech 5700 v 5701

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

Can anyone tell me what the differance, apart from the ability to take a larger cassette is between these two mechs ?
is the 5701 one a better newer design ?
also what does this mean
  • Maximum front difference 16T, total capacity 34T this is on the 5701 spec
cheers

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably short/medium cage versions.

IBarrett

Über Member
I have both. 5700 on my bike and 5701 as a spare.
I wanted to give myself a lower gear for a hilly sportive coming up so was looking at the differences to see if I could use either.
The only thing I found is the 5701 is compatible with 8, 9, or 10 speed where the 5700 is just 10
There wasn't a discernible difference in the cage lengths.

My bike is at the LBS now while they try to figure out what could be done to give me lower gearing, even if it means compromises because it's just for this one event. They are looking at cassette, derailleur and front chainring alternatives.
I'll know in a couple of days if you're interested.

IBarrett

Über Member
How do you tell if the derailleur you have is a short, med or long cage - I couldn't find any measurements anywhere on the net and the 5700 I have says 30T on one of the cage arms and measures 59mm between wheel centres

It looks like I got my earlier comment backwards and I have the 5700 here on my bench, the 5701 must be on my bike so I can't check for any markings, though the cages were the same length as close as I could tell by holding them together

zigzag

Veteran
it does not say on the derailleur itself whether it is short cage (ss) or medium cage (gs), only on the packaging it comes in. you can always look at the images online and compare the length/proportions of your mech vs the image.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If you clean the thing (if it needs it) you will find the number stamped on what would be the rear of the RD if you was facing the RH side of the bike.

It is VERY tiny.

I found mine when checking capacities and was surprised to find it was 5701 instead of the specified 5700 - was so excited I went and bought a bottle of Bolly and celebrated. :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll find the answer on here:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com

OP
OP
R

reacher

cheers guys, both will take the intended cassette i was wondering if one was a better mech than the other was all, its not my bike i'm just altering componants
also, can anyone tell me what headset i need to order to replace this one, cheers

Attachments

• boardman 002.JPG
    boardman 002.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 55
  • boardman 001.JPG
    boardman 001.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 52
I don't have any more info, I was hoping someone could tell me what type it is

Broadly speaking, the type is an integrated headset. However, integrated headsets are invisible from the outside so no-one can tell you what sub-type it is unless they happen to have opened it or know that bike very intimately.

Having said that, all that needs replacing on these are the bearings, usually only the bottom bearing. Bearings are a quagmire of standards, whims and sizes. Best to take a sample with you when going to the bike shop. They don't sell these bearings at bearing shops.

OP
OP
R

reacher

ok, thats great, what i can do when i swap everything is take it apart at least i know what i'm actually looking to buy, thanks, how do you tell if it actually needs replacing ?
Because i'm upgrading to 10 speed on it i was going to do the cables etc thats why i was thinking it might be a good idea to put a new one in at the same time its not done massive mileage but has gone through about 7 winters

Last edited:
Top Bottom