Rear Mech and Rear Mech Hanger side to side movements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hi knowledgeable folks. I've got a bit of intermittent shifting going on with the rear mech. crash, clunk noises as sprockets are nearly engaged and not engaged. It isn't the adjustment on the cable. But I'm wondering if there should be any play, side to side on the bolt which holds the rear mech to the hanger. I know it should rotate about the obvious axis but should it have any movement side to side? ie in the direction things move when changing up or down. Hope my poor description is understandable.
TIA

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
But I'm wondering if there should be any play, side to side on the bolt which holds the rear mech to the hanger. I know it should rotate about the obvious axis but should it have any movement side to side? TIA

No. Tighten it up.

robjh

Legendary Member
Hi knowledgeable folks. I've got a bit of intermittent shifting going on with the rear mech. crash, clunk noises as sprockets are nearly engaged and not engaged. It isn't the adjustment on the cable. But I'm wondering if there should be any play, side to side on the bolt which holds the rear mech to the hanger. I know it should rotate about the obvious axis but should it have any movement side to side? ie in the direction things move when changing up or down. Hope my poor description is understandable.
TIA
An interesting thread for me right now. I've had increasing difficulty getting clean shifting on the large sprockets in the last couple of months. I suspected hanger alignment so I straightened that up as best I could and the problem went away for a while, then returned. I then noticed that there was considerable sideways play at the main pivot bolt that screws into the hanger, even when fully tightened.
I've now replaced said derailleur with another one I had, and now there is no play and the shifting is crisp again across all the sprockets.

The problem derailleur (Shimano 105 10 speed) had done about 25 to 30 thousand miles. I don't know if the looseness at the pivot bolt was due to wear and tear, or from a knock at some time (I've had the occasional off). Also don't know if it's saveable, or just for the bin.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The problem derailleur (Shimano 105 10 speed)

9 speed here.

the looseness at the pivot bolt was due to wear and tear

Yes - I suspect wear and tear but a pal said today there is a spring in there and that might have been knocked loose or worn or something. I think I'll buy new and see if I can take the old one apart to find out what's what in there. Although YouTube might have the answer (just thought of that!).

Might be worth popping it in to afriendly LBS if you have one near for a check to see if the hanger is bent (they should have a device to check it accurately)before splashing out on a new mech;shouldn't cost too much and if they are really friendly they might do it for free or the odd cake:smile:

Top Bottom