Rear mech cage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just changed the rear mech cage from short to medium on a 6800 series Di2, doddle of a job saves buying new mech. All parts available here. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sp...s/?type=gs&order=price+descending&series=6800
CAGE.PNG

They are the old bits.

Gary E

Veteran
Hi Derrick, I have the same Rear Derailleur, I've bought the parts but not got around to doing it yet (as I don't have the larger cassette yet that the change is for).

I looked at the exploded view of the mech and noticed that, as well as the obviously different Inner and Outer Plates there was also one other part that was listed as different - The Plate Axle Assembly has a different part number for the SS and the GS versions. Did you change that too?

I ended up getting all 3 parts: Y5YC225000 - Inner Plate, Y5YC98080 - Outer Plate and Y5YD98030 - Plate Axle Assembly.

I assumed (but don't know for sure) that the longer cage requires a stronger spring to keep the chain tensioned correctly. I'd be interested to hear what cassette/chain ring you're running it with and how it works on the road?

Last edited:
OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi Derrick, I have the same Rear Derailleur, I've bought the parts but not got around to doing it yet (as I don't have the larger cassette yet that the change is for).

I looked at the exploded view of the mech and noticed that, as well as the obviously different Inner and Outer Plates there was also one other part that was listed as different - The Plate Axle Assembly has a different part number for the SS and the GS versions. Did you change that too?

I ended up getting all 3 parts: Y5YC225000 - Inner Plate, Y5YC98080 - Outer Plate and Y5YD98030 - Plate Axle Assembly.

I assumed (but don't know for sure) that the longer cage requires a stronger spring to keep the chain tensioned correctly. I'd be interested to hear what cassette/chain ring you're running it with and how it works on the road?
I did not change the axle assembly. it works ok on the stand have not tried it on the road, but see no reason why it would not be ok.

Top Bottom