Rear Mech -GS vs SS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Legendary Member
Location
Tayside
What does the GS and SS mean regarding a Shimano rear mech? I'm guessing it's cage length and that SS is short - am I correct?
 

Mortiroloboy

Legendary Member
GS=Medium SS=Short SS will allow you to go upto 26t max, the GS will allow you to go to 29t max. on your rear cassette.
 

02GF74

Legendary Member
It is related to the legnth of the mech. but I don't think the limits as stated ^^^ are a true reflection of the capability.

The shorter cage needs a shorter chain and will not allow shifting to the larger cassette sprockets when on largest chain ring;

Obviously unless you are a novice, you would never choose that gear combination but select smaller chain ring and smaller rear sprocket.

You would be able to use say a 29T or more cassette with the granny ring on the front.
 
Top Bottom