Rear mech hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex1982

Hi

I am trying to replace a rear mech hanger and finding that the screw is either not fitting the derailleur or it’s difficult

I phoned the retailer for the bike and they said it’s the right hanger and sent me one out but once I’ve attached the hanger to the frame I can’t screw the derailleur on

Is it the wrong hanger?

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you screw the hanger on before fixing it to the frame.

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Tried that and it’s even harder as I run out of hands

Don’t want to force it and damage the frame even though it’s only going through the derailleur

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Yes, it’s still on

It’s that screw that’s isn’t going through the straight so I can’t fit properly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
A

Alex1982

This is the hanger that the retailer said was the correct one

I think it’s wrong as the other one didn’t look like that and this is a lot harder than it should (I think)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Ok hopefully this turns up clear

The screw is in but the where the Allen key is, it’s not able to go through as it’s not sitting right

Am I doing everything right ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 27

screenman

Legendary Member
I would say if it is not the same as the other one then it is wrong.

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Yeah I think it’s the wrong one as I have just tried to screw the screw from old one through the hanger and it’s too big so it’s not the alignment it’s the actual hanger

Guys don’t go to wheelbase - they are terrible at giving out advice

Ajax Bay

Guru
Alex
I suspect the reason you're not getting much response is because it's not clear what your problem is.
You need to securely fix the hanger to your frame, normally with two screws.
The latest image you've shared of the old and new hangers suggest that there are differences. But you said in the OP
"I’ve attached the hanger to the frame". When you tightened the two screws, did it fit or not? Looks OK in image 2 (even if the hangers are a different shape lower down).
Then you need to attach the RD to the hanger. Every hanger has the same spec threaded hole to take the RD screw so if you have a problem with that it's not the hanger or your RD.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You might want to rethink this .

It's your fault. You haven't just taken off the gear hanger - you've taken off a bit of your mech.
This - you've removed the top piece of the mech - that's what screws to the hanger - the piece with the silver bit in your pic

Shimano-Ultegra-R8000-groupset-review-cyclingtips-16.jpg

Top Bottom