Rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
This cable is only just over 1 year old, it’s R7000 105.

Just seemed a little premature for it to fray like this, it was shifting really poorly this morning, and some gears weren’t selectable.

could it be a case of the retaining nut not being tight and it’s had some movement and frayed it?
12DA1AF2-4C49-42AE-9300-2D092EAED457.jpeg

Got to get this changed out I think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happens, and not being funny, but the mech and cable doesn't look like they see regular cleaning as I'd expect the cable to be shiny silver, so this will happen !

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Happens, and not being funny, but the mech and cable doesn't look like they see regular cleaning as I'd expect the cable to be shiny silver, so this will happen !

It’s usually clean, I had just gotten back and the roads here in places are really wet due to water flooding onto the road.

Also the picture was taken in a dark room.

The screw retainer does have some muck around it so maybe it’s that’s and some rub, and the spring has some grubbyness to it.

I will wipe it down more often, maybe add some oil to a cloth for the cable to help?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Need to keep cables clean. I'd get some better cables, also over tightening can brake the threads, and leaving the 'excess' cable too long can catch !

Change the outer at the same time.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
ok thanks guys.

It may of been me over tightening, I know I adjusted the front, I can't remember if I ever played around with the rear, indexing is like a dark art to me, I would rather leave it to someone who knows what they're doing!

I will make sure I clean around there better as well, usually the bike is spotless.

Edit: After looking at the picture again I think its over tighten, they look like clean breaks and all in the same place.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A year sounds about right to be fair especially if you use the bike a lot , the only cable i had for more than a few years was an internally routed one on the summer bike

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
A year sounds about right to be fair especially if you use the bike a lot , the only cable i had for more than a few years was an internally routed one on the summer bike

They have done around 3000 miles.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
The bike mechanic is going to take the Merida, he wants to check the cable in the shifter as he said the later 105 shifters have a nasty habit of fraying the cable at the shifter as well.

@ianrauk I tried this on my Ribble as it needed some tlc with the gears, this video worked a treat, thank you very much.

Reactions: C R
At what point was the fraying?

It's my understanding that fraying can be tolerated, if you keep an eye on it, as long as it's not between the clamping point and the shifter.

Gear cables do tent to fray in time, far more than brake cables - just one of those things - to do with angles etc.

In the past I had a tendency to leave cables too long.

I recommend buying a workshop box of 50 or 100 inners - that way you are less likely to push things as you will always have an inner to hand.

Substantially cheaper than buying singly as well.

Then just ride, be philosophical and rejoice in the simplicity of the system - no electronic puzzles or woes.

Top Bottom