Rear Mudguard Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mordecai84

Hello,

I got a Trek XO 1 on the cyclescheme and intended to fit it with full mudguards. However on closer examination, it appears that there are not holes in the frame to attach the rear mudguard fixing brackets to. I'm not sure of the the exact terminology but I think there should be a threaded hole in the seatstay bridge and also the tube connecting to the bottom bracket.

Is there any way around this with P clips or will I have to use race blades?

Mortiroloboy

I am unfamiliar with this particular bike, however, in order to fit full mudguards to a bike frame, you do indeed require a mount on the seat stay bridge, but you should be able to remove the rear brake caliper and utilise the same hole that the brake caliper is fitted into, you'll also need eyelets on the axle end of the seat/chainstays.

But all is not lost, you could fit race blade's, or you could always opt for a seat post mounted crud catcher type 'guard.

jimboalee

+1 Mortiroloboy.

+ Where the mudguard goes down to the chainstays.
Cut the side of the mudguard to slim it so it fits between the chain stays. Wrap something soft ( insulation tape ) around the seat tube to protect the paint; place some sponge rubber between the seat tube and the mudguard to the correct distance and so there is not a clash with the front mech; drill two small holes in the mudguard to feed a cable tie through and around the seat tube.

The slim 'tail' of mudguard should ideally be below the level of the chainstays so water flows straight off it.

That's how I've fitted guards to a frame without a chainstay fillet.

OP
OP
M

mordecai84

Thanks for all your replies - I'm determined to get full mudguards on as this bicycle will be my commuter. Slightly miffed at the bike shop for not having the right info re the frame as I did ask if it would easily take full mudguards. Oh well, I'll have to do a bit of bodging I think. ;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
P-clips are fine for attaching the stays to at the dropouts. Tubus sell posh ones for use with their racks.

Threaded mudguard holes at the brake and chainstay bridges and the fork crown are relatively unusual - previously custom touring bikes only, but they are starting to catch on a bit more widely.
The normal method of attachment at the fork crown and brake bridge is to thread the supplied bracket onto the brake bolt (by removing and refitting the brake). The bracket is a loose fit on the guard, and should be clamped in place by squeezing with pliers once everything is fitted.
At the chainset end, there's a hook supplied that should clip over the chainstay bridge and the end of the mudguard. If there's no chainstay bridge, what jimboalee said.
If your clearances are tight at the forks, you need less room with cable ties through a pair of holes and over the fork crown shoulder (at each side) than you do with the official bracket on the brake bolt.

OP
OP
M

mordecai84

Took my bicycle to the bike shop in the end and they fitted them there. They used some aftermarket brackets to fit them, a damn good job they did too. They didn't even charge me; this is Mud Dock Cycles in Bristol. They seem to be very professional there.

Top Bottom