Rear Shifting Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, I have just replaced my 7 speed rear shifter plus cable and housing. I have three front chainrings (I don't use the smallest), so I set up the indexing from the middle front chainring and everything worked fine. However, when I switched to the largest front chainring, I couldn't switch to the smallest rear cog (highest gear). I loosened the cable tension to no avail and even when I released the cable from the derailleur completely it still wouldn't shift to the small cog. Rear mech is Shimano Altus, eighteen months old and very used. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So the spring isn't quite managing to pull the chain down to the smallest cog?

Have you tried loosening the outer limit screw a tiny bit? Did you change the outer cable as well as the inner? These need changing every six months to maintain performance.

C R

Guru
Hi all, I have just replaced my 7 speed rear shifter plus cable and housing. I have three front chainrings (I don't use the smallest), so I set up the indexing from the middle front chainring and everything worked fine. However, when I switched to the largest front chainring, I couldn't switch to the smallest rear cog (highest gear). I loosened the cable tension to no avail and even when I released the cable from the derailleur completely it still wouldn't shift to the small cog. Rear mech is Shimano Altus, eighteen months old and very used. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Have you checked the high limit screw?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Watching with bated breath! Similar shifting issues since fitting a new chain and cassette. However no amount of playing about with limit screws or tension stops the chain throwing into the jockey wheels. Suspect it’s them at fault !

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP: With the chain on the large chainring, and with the cable unclamped, unscrew the 'H' screw a full turn or more. If the cage won't at least line up with the smallest sprocket then maybe the RD is ****ed. Generous spraying of every pivot point might free it up sufficiently. Pictures of the RD and sprockets from the rear and from the side might help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

So the spring isn't quite managing to pull the chain down to the smallest cog?

Have you tried loosening the outer limit screw a tiny bit? Did you change the outer cable as well as the inner? These need changing every six months to maintain performance.
Yes, I replaced outer & inner cables. Never thought of adjusting the limit screws because everything works fine on the front middle chainring? I'll try that anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If everything works fine on the middle ring it should be ok on the big. Let's have a pic of the jockey wheels.

Top Bottom