Rear-view mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

I started using a rear-view mirror several months ago and would no longer want to be without one (in certain environments, at least). I'm surprised how few cyclists I see using one, considering the increased awareness they provide.

There are a few particular situations I've found where a mirror is valuable:

1/ Riding two-abreast on narrow roads, I can get in single-file in plenty of time to let a car pass.
2/ Checking if there are any vehicles approaching from behind before swinging out to avoid a pothole or uneven drain cover.
3/ Keeping an eye on a (slower and inexperienced) riding partner, who may be falling too far behind.
4/ Confirming that there is a vehicle behind that's about to overtake.

Of course, there's no substitute for a glance over the shoulder before changing lanes or turning right, but I really appreciate the added awareness a mirror brings.

My favourite is a £5 item from Asda, which attaches to the (straight) handlebar with velcro, but I'd like to try the 'central' type where you look back through your legs (the added width can be a hassle sometimes).

Steve

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have rear view mirrors on the downtubes of my bikes. I'm blind in the right eye and i can't turn my head fully to the right due to surgery so they are very useful to me.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I fitted a Zefal Spy on the butterfly bars of my tourer and found it so beneficial I fitted Zefal Spins to my road bike, then my mtb. I echo the OP's reasoning too.
FYI the Spy straps on, cos trekking bars don't end in an appropriate place, whereas the Spin fits into the bar end. They're both small and unobtrusive.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a recumbent rider I have to have mirrors to see behind me. Turning my head, like I would on an upright results in a spectacularly clear view of the tarmac just behind my rear wheel and little else! I have to mirrors mounted Left and Right on all of my trikes and use a glasses mirror, which allows me to scan 180 degrees behind me at the turn of my head.

In my commuting to w*rk days^ I used a right bar mirror and a helmet mounted mirror which made me much more aware of close passing traffic in town and like the OP saw a great benefit from using one, although a glance over the shoulder was still a large part of my riding style.

^I'm retired so avoid the 'W' word as much as possible!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When riding over 15mph your head starts to twist to the side of the mirror due to drag, they're an unaerodynamic hindrance.*

Riding into strong headwinds results in your head revolving uncontrollably. This is dangerous.:wacko:*

*these are the results of extensive science and stuff.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm a bike fan of Bike Eye mirrors when commuting, especially on rural roads when oncoming traffic and other hazards mean I'm frequently swapping from primary to secondary and back to manage the following motor traffic. They are even quite useful when riding in a mixed-ability group. But never, for me, a substitute for over the shoulder looks which play an important part, imo, in communicating the message "calm the chuff down I know you are there" to following drivers, especially when combined with a death ray stare.

I sometimes look down at the junction of downtube and headtube on the Sunday best and think "WFT? Where's the mirror gone?" :ohmy:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Zefal spy ftw.

Top Bottom